Benefits & Disadvantages of Palatini Action for General Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Palatini action as an alternative formulation of general relativity. This action allows for the treatment of the metric and connection as independent variables, and when assuming zero torsion, it leads back to the Levi-Civita connection and general relativity. However, complications arise when matter is coupled separately to the metric and connection. A review provides more insight into the Palatini procedure and its benefits and disadvantages.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
Most often, general relativity is formulated in terms of Einstein's field equations:

021a494922172bfe1c9fa4e80d25ac90228d72cf
whose terms are familiar to readers in this forum.

But, I understand (and feel free to correct me or qualify my statement if I am incorrect) that it is also possible to describe general relativity with an equivalent expression known as the Palatini action sometimes written as:

b5fe37f32e7a0cf7d575d811c8db7b53de2376e6

where
b1bf5685176a73483c07965052331f422514de4e
but now
d3556280e66fe2c0d0140df20935a6f057381d77
is a function of the frame field.

The Palatini action is used, for example, in a recent pre-print by SangChul Yoon, "Lagrangian formulation of the Palatini action" (May 5, 2018).

What are the insights or mathematical benefits that are involved in using the Palatini action? What are the disadvantages to using this formulation of general relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
This review:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1106.2476
provides decent insight into the Palatini procedure. This is not my area of expertise (I am a total GR amateur), but as far as I can tell, the main upshot is that the Palatini procedure allows you to treat the metric and the connection as independent variables (in standard GR, the Levi-Civita connection is a function of the metric and its derivatives). But if you assume zero torsion, once you minimize the action integral with respect to the connection, you get back the Levi-Civita connection and hence general relativity. One interesting complication that the review mentions is that this procedure only assumes coupling of matter to the metric, not to the connection. If matter couples separately to the metric and the connection, things apparently get quite a bit more complicated.

Likes ohwilleke and Dale
TeethWhitener said:
This review:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1106.2476
provides decent insight into the Palatini procedure. This is not my area of expertise (I am a total GR amateur), but as far as I can tell, the main upshot is that the Palatini procedure allows you to treat the metric and the connection as independent variables (in standard GR, the Levi-Civita connection is a function of the metric and its derivatives). But if you assume zero torsion, once you minimize the action integral with respect to the connection, you get back the Levi-Civita connection and hence general relativity. One interesting complication that the review mentions is that this procedure only assumes coupling of matter to the metric, not to the connection. If matter couples separately to the metric and the connection, things apparently get quite a bit more complicated.

Thanks. That's really helpful, especially your discussion of that last complication.

1. What is the Palatini Action for General Relativity?

The Palatini Action is an approach to general relativity that treats the metric tensor and the connection as independent variables. This means that instead of assuming a specific mathematical relationship between the two, the Palatini approach allows for the possibility of a different relationship.

2. What are the benefits of using the Palatini Action?

One of the main benefits of using the Palatini Action is that it leads to a simpler and more elegant formulation of general relativity. It also allows for a more natural incorporation of matter fields into the theory.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using the Palatini Action?

One potential disadvantage of the Palatini approach is that it can lead to additional mathematical complexities and equations. This can make it more difficult to solve certain problems and may require more advanced mathematical techniques.

4. How does the Palatini Action differ from other approaches to general relativity?

The Palatini approach differs from other approaches, such as the Einstein-Hilbert Action, in that it treats the metric tensor and the connection as independent variables. This allows for a different mathematical relationship between the two and can lead to different predictions and outcomes.

5. Is the Palatini Action widely accepted in the scientific community?

The Palatini approach is still a subject of ongoing debate and research in the scientific community. While some scientists advocate for its use, others argue that it may not be a complete or accurate representation of general relativity. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the benefits and disadvantages of the Palatini Action.