Benzene in water adsorption test and GC without extraction?

In summary, the speaker wants to measure the concentration of benzene or toluene in water using a GC with FID detectors. They plan to use toluene as a pollutant for the adsorption test and methanol for calibration. They are unsure if using benzene as an internal standard is suitable. The speaker also wants to conduct the tests at room temperature and remove water samples from vials for GC injection. They are seeking advice on their procedure and if methanol is suitable for their column.
RobinDelBosco
Hi all,
I want to measure the concentration of benzene or toluene, in water with a GC, FID detectors. I put benzene in water with an adsorbent and after hours I've to test the concentration of benzene. In the lab we've already methanol and toluene, so I'm thinking to use toluene as pollutant for the adsorption test and methanol for the calibration. I also have dichloromethane but I probably is too volatile to be suitable. So I want conduct the calibration using only with 1,5,10,100,200 ppm of toluene in methanol..use benzene as internal standard could be suitable? In this way I could test after benzene in water and use toluene as internal standard.
I don't want volatilisation, but I want to conduct the tests at room temperature. The adsorption test will be in vials closed (by PTFE/silicone septa?), continuously stirred and I want to full the vials with water and toluene, with no headspace. Immediately prior to the GC injection, six times in 24 hours, I want remove the cap and take out half microliter of water from the sample with a syringe, I'll full the other 50% of the syringe with the substance that I've used for the calibration (methanol) and I'll inject all in the GC (with FID detector).
Finally, I'd like to understand if this is or not a good procedure or if improvement are needed. And also if methanol is ok for my column.
All advices are welcome!
My column is capillary, non polar, suitable for aromatics and pesticides. Phase: bonded; poly(5%diphenil/95%dimethylsiloxane).
Thank you

All ok, you can remove the post

What is the purpose of a Benzene in Water Adsorption test?

A Benzene in Water Adsorption test is used to determine the amount of benzene present in a water sample. This is important because benzene is a known carcinogen and can be harmful to human health if consumed in high levels.

How is the Benzene in Water Adsorption test conducted?

The test involves passing a water sample through an adsorbent material, such as activated carbon, which will capture any benzene present in the water. The amount of benzene adsorbed by the material is then measured using gas chromatography (GC).

Why is GC without extraction used in the Benzene in Water Adsorption test?

GC without extraction is used because it is a more efficient and accurate method for measuring the amount of benzene in water. It eliminates the need for a time-consuming and potentially hazardous extraction process.

What are the limitations of the Benzene in Water Adsorption test?

The test can only detect and measure the amount of benzene that is adsorbed by the material used. It may not be able to detect low levels of benzene in water, and it cannot differentiate between benzene and other similar compounds.

How can the results of the Benzene in Water Adsorption test be interpreted?

The results of the test will provide the amount of benzene present in the water sample. This can be compared to regulatory guidelines to determine if the water is safe for consumption. If the levels are above the recommended limit, further testing and remediation may be necessary.