Bessel function for a 2D circular plate

In summary, the conversation is about using a simulation of Chladni plates in Max/MSP for granular synthesis. The formulas for a square and circular plate have been found online, but the circular formula is confusing to the person who is seeking help. The solution for a circular plate is given in terms of polar coordinates and involves Bessel functions. The subscript in the Bessel function indicates the order of the function, and the cos/sin portion shows the mode profile in the radial and angular directions. The person seeking help plans to plot the Bessel functions in MATLAB for a better understanding. They are also unsure about the meaning of C1/C2 in the formula.
iamfromspace
(Repost of thread, wrong forum).

Hi all,

I'm writing a simulation of Chladni plates in Max/MSP and hope to use it in granular synthesis. I have found two formulas on the web; square and circular plate. I understand the square but the circular is quite confusing as I'm not a mathematician and I need help breaking it down so I can compute it in Max/MSP. Can anyone shed some light on the following formula?... :)

"For a circular plate with radius R the solution is given in terms of polar coordinates (r,theta) by

Jn(K r) (C1 cos(n theta) + C2 sin(n theta))

Where Jn is the n'th order Bessel function. If the plate is fixed around the rim (eg: a drum) then K = Znm / R, Znm is the m'th zero of the n'th order Bessel function. The term "Znm r / R" means the Bessel function term goes to zero at the rim as required by the constraint of the rim being fixed."

Btw, I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand... just a little guidance..

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bessel functions look like this: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html

They are solutions of a pde which, I guess(?), describes your modes of vibration.

The subscript shows which order of Bessel function you have -- the mode profile in the radial direction -- the cos/sin bit shows how these profiles vary in the angular direction.

Plot them in, eg., MATLAB and you'll get the idea.

Thank you.

I will plot them in Matlab, and post back with the results.

Looking at the formula I am unsure of what C1/C2 stands for. Do you know?

1. What is a Bessel function and what is its significance in 2D circular plate analysis?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that arises in the solution of differential equations, specifically in problems involving circular symmetry. In 2D circular plate analysis, Bessel functions are used to describe the displacement and stress fields in the plate due to various loads and boundary conditions.

2. How do Bessel functions relate to the geometry of a 2D circular plate?

Bessel functions are closely related to the geometry of a 2D circular plate, as they represent the solutions to the Laplace equation in polar coordinates. This means that they describe the behavior of the plate in terms of its radius and angle, rather than its x and y coordinates.

3. What is the difference between the Bessel functions of the first and second kind?

The Bessel functions of the first kind (Jn) and second kind (Yn) are two different solutions to the same differential equation, with the first kind being the more commonly used solution. The main difference between them is that Jn is finite at the origin, while Yn is infinite, making Jn the more physically meaningful solution.

4. How are Bessel functions used in practical applications involving 2D circular plates?

Bessel functions have a wide range of practical applications in engineering and physics, particularly in problems involving circular symmetry. In the context of 2D circular plates, they are used to solve problems such as the vibration of circular membranes, heat conduction in circular plates, and the scattering of electromagnetic waves by circular objects.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Bessel functions in 2D circular plate analysis?

While Bessel functions are powerful mathematical tools for solving problems involving circular symmetry, they do have limitations. For example, the use of Bessel functions assumes that the plate is perfectly circular and has uniform material properties. They may also become difficult to work with when dealing with complex boundary conditions or when the plate is not perfectly circular.