Bessel functions of the first kind

In summary, Dick is trying to find the derivative of a bessel function of the first kind, but is unclear about how to do it. He suggests looking for the derivative in terms of other bessel functions, which uses the product rule.
John 123

Homework Statement

Can anyone tell me if:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}J_k(ax)=aJ'_k(x)
[/tex]
where a is a real positive constant and
[tex]
J_k(x)
[/tex]
is the Bessel function of the first kind.
Regards
John

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the answer to that is no. I believe that...

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}J_k(ax) = a J_k^{'}(ax)[/tex]

But doesn't
[tex]
J_k(ax)=aJ_k(x)?
[/tex]

Sorry, but that is not the case.

Then that is my error.
To find the derivative of
[tex]
J_k(ax)
[/tex]
presumably one has to differentiate the series expansion?
John

John 123 said:
Then that is my error.
To find the derivative of
[tex]
J_k(ax)
[/tex]
presumably one has to differentiate the series expansion?
John

You can express the derivative of a bessel function in terms of other bessel functions. See the "Selected identities" list at the end of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function

Hi Dick
The question I am asking derives from proving the integral property of Bessel functions of the first kind. This amounts to showing the orthogonal properties of Bessel functions.
Part way through the proof I need to show that:
[tex]
u'_1(x)=r_ix^(\frac{1}{2})J'_k(r_ix)+\frac{1}{2}x^{\frac{-1}{2}}J_(r_ix)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
r_i
[/tex]
is a distinct positive zero of
[tex]
J_k(x)
[/tex]

Hi Dick
I need to show that if:
[tex]
u(x)=x^{\frac{1}{2}}J_k(r_ix)
[/tex]
Then:
[tex]
u'=r_ix^{\frac{1}{2}}J'_k(r_ix)+\frac{1}{2}x^{\frac{-1}{2}}J_k(r_ix)
[/tex]
This, of course, uses product rule but the derivative of:
[tex]
J_k(r_ix)
[/tex]
I am unclear about?
Incidentally
[tex]
r_i
[/tex]
is the ith distinct positive zero of
[tex]
J_k(x)
[/tex]
This is part of proving the orthogonality of Bessel functions
[tex]
J_k(r_ix)
[/tex]
with respect to the weight function x.
John

It's just the chain rule. If h(x)=f(a*x) then h'(x)=f'(a*x)*a. It's a special case of the general chain rule, if h(x)=f(g(x)) then h'(x)=f'(g(x))*g'(x). It's just like saying the derivative of sin(2*x) is cos(2*x)*2.

Thanks Dick
John

1. What are Bessel functions of the first kind?

Bessel functions of the first kind, denoted as Jn(x), are a family of special functions that arise in many areas of physics and engineering. They are solutions to the Bessel differential equation and are used to describe oscillatory phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

2. How are Bessel functions of the first kind calculated?

Bessel functions of the first kind can be calculated using various methods, such as power series, asymptotic expansions, and recurrence relations. The most common approach is to use numerical methods, such as the Taylor series or the continued fraction method, to approximate the values of the function.

3. What is the significance of Bessel functions of the first kind?

Bessel functions of the first kind have many important applications in physics and engineering. They are used to describe the behavior of waves in cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems, as well as in problems involving heat conduction, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

4. What is the relationship between Bessel functions of the first kind and other special functions?

Bessel functions of the first kind are closely related to other special functions, such as the modified Bessel functions and the spherical Bessel functions. They can also be expressed in terms of other mathematical functions, such as trigonometric functions and exponential functions. The connections between these functions are important for solving various mathematical and physical problems.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Bessel functions of the first kind?

Yes, Bessel functions of the first kind have many real-world applications. For example, they are used in the study of sound waves in pipes and resonant systems, in the calculation of electromagnetic fields in circular waveguides, and in the analysis of heat transfer in cylindrical objects. They are also used in image processing to enhance the quality of digital images and in pattern recognition to identify specific features in data.