How to Solve a Bessel-like Equation for R(r) with Unknown BC

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation with a given boundary condition and initial condition. The equation could possibly be transformed into Bessel's ODE, but the attempt at a solution did not yield the expected result. The expert suggested looking at the function ##rR## and using the trick of looking at ##d(rR)/dr## to solve the equation. The conversation then moved on to discussing how to handle the boundary condition and initial condition, and the expert suggested using the notation ##F(r,t)## instead of ##\Theta(r,t)## to find a solution. The expert also mentioned that Maple and Mathematica have similar capabilities in solving these types of equations. Finally, the conversation touched on the idea of using
member 428835

Homework Statement

Solve $$r^2R''+2rR' +\lambda^2 r^2 R = 0$$ where ##R=R(r)##. (Let's not worry about BC).

Homework Equations

Looks like something that could be transformed into Bessel's ODE but I'm unsure how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start. I typed it into Mathematica and the solution is a sum of exponentials divided by ##r##, so evidently Bessel's ODE is not the right course of action. Sure, I could "guess" the solution now that I know it, but if I didn't know it what would I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

Solve $$r^2R''+2rR' +\lambda^2 r^2 R = 0$$ where ##R=R(r)##. (Let's not worry about BC).

Homework Equations

Looks like something that could be transformed into Bessel's ODE but I'm unsure how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start. I typed it into Mathematica and the solution is a sum of exponentials divided by ##r##, so evidently Bessel's ODE is not the right course of action. Sure, I could "guess" the solution now that I know it, but if I didn't know it what would I do?

If you note that
$$\frac{d^2}{dr^2} ( r R )= r R^{\prime \prime} + 2 R^{\prime},$$
you will soon see how to solve the DE. Of course, that does not motivate looking at the function ##r R## in the first place.

Likes member 428835
Ray Vickson said:
If you note that
$$\frac{d^2}{dr^2} ( r R )= r R^{\prime \prime} + 2 R^{\prime},$$
you will soon see how to solve the DE. Of course, that does not motivate looking at the function ##r R## in the first place.
Awesome, thanks so much! But yea, what made you look for the function ##r R##? Should I see something?

joshmccraney said:
Awesome, thanks so much! But yea, what made you look for the function ##r R##? Should I see something?

Well, of course I cheated, knowing that the solution has the form ##R = f(r)/r##, so ##rR = f(r)## must satisfy some DE as well.

However, a more useful answer is based on seeing lots of examples in the past: whenever we see something like ##r dR/dr## the default trick to fall back on is to look at ##d( rR)/dr##, to see what we get. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but it is always worth a try.

Likes member 428835 and fresh_42
Experience always wins! Ok, so now that I understand the solution, how would I handle the BC and IC: the initial PDE was $$\partial_t \Theta + \frac{1}{r^2}\partial_r(r^2\partial_r\Theta) = 0\\
\Theta(1,t)=Ct:C\in\mathbb{R}\\
\Theta(r,0)=0.$$

While no second BC is given, I assume the solution must be finite and converge for long times, which may help eliminate a solution later. I started by trying to homogenize the BC by introducing ##\Theta = \hat\Theta+Ct##. Then the PDE becomes $$\partial_t \hat\Theta +C+ \frac{1}{r^2}\partial_r(r^2\partial_r\hat\Theta) = 0$$ which does not appear to be separable. Any ideas? I don't think the guess ##\Theta(t,r)=tf(r)## works.

Last edited by a moderator:
joshmccraney said:
Experience always wins! Ok, so now that I understand the solution, how would I handle the BC and IC: the initial PDE was $$\partial_t \Theta + \frac{1}{r^2}\partial_r(r^2\partial_r\Theta) = 0\\
\Theta(1,t)=Ct:C\in\mathbb{R}\\
\Theta(r,0)=0.$$

While no second BC is given, I assume the solution must be finite and converge for long times, which may help eliminate a solution later. I started by trying to homogenize the BC by introducing ##\Theta = \hat\Theta+Ct##. Then the PDE becomes $$\partial_t \hat\Theta +C+ \frac{1}{r^2}\partial_r(r^2\partial_r\hat\Theta) = 0$$ which does not appear to be separable. Any ideas? I don't think the guess ##\Theta(t,r)=tf(r)## works.
Using the notation ##F(r,t)## instead of ##\Theta(r,t)##, Maple gets a solution of the form
$$F(r,t) = F_1(r) F_2(t) -\frac{C}{6} r^2 - \frac{a}{r} - b,$$
where ##C## is the constant in the PDE, ##a,b## are some other constants and where ##F_1, F_2## satisfy ODEs
$$F_1^{\prime \prime}(r) +\frac{2}{r} F_1^{\prime}(r) -c F_1(r) =0$$
and
$$F_2^{\prime}(t) + c F_2(t) = 0. $$
Here, ##c## is another (arbitrary) constant, the same in both ODEs.

I have not checked this, and I have not asked Maple to outline the steps it takes to arrive at the solution.

Wow, Maple does all of that? Does Mathematica? Perhaps I am using the wrong platform?

joshmccraney said:
Wow, Maple does all of that? Does Mathematica? Perhaps I am using the wrong platform?

I do not have access to Mathematica, so I cannot say, but I would be very surprised if it does not. However, sometimes Maple can do things that Mathematica cannot, and sometimes vice versa. However, about 99.9% of the time they have the same capabilities.

Anyway, if you look at ##G(r,t) = \Theta(r,t) + u + v r^2 + w/r## for some constants ##u,v,w## you can look at the PDE satisfied by ##G##. You will see how to choose ##u,v,w## to get a separable PDE.

Ray Vickson said:
I do not have access to Mathematica, so I cannot say, but I would be very surprised if it does not. However, sometimes Maple can do things that Mathematica cannot, and sometimes vice versa. However, about 99.9% of the time they have the same capabilities.

Anyway, if you look at ##G(r,t) = \Theta(r,t) + u + v r^2 + w/r## for some constants ##u,v,w## you can look at the PDE satisfied by ##G##. You will see how to choose ##u,v,w## to get a separable PDE.
We could go one step further than this, couldn't we? Taking the guess ##\Theta = F_1(r)F_2(t) + \sum a_n r^n## and forcing that the polynomial term yield only a constant yields ##a_n = 0 \forall n## except for ##n=-1,0,2##, right?

Also, when I plug the ##u + v r^2 + w/r## part of the solution into the PDE a constant is left over. However, this constant does not seem to appear in the ODE of ##F_1## or ##F_2##. Can you explain?

joshmccraney said:
We could go one step further than this, couldn't we? Taking the guess ##\Theta = F_1(r)F_2(t) + \sum a_n r^n## and forcing that the polynomial term yield only a constant yields ##a_n = 0 \forall n## except for ##n=-1,0,2##, right?

Also, when I plug the ##u + v r^2 + w/r## part of the solution into the PDE a constant is left over. However, this constant does not seem to appear in the ODE of ##F_1## or ##F_2##. Can you explain?

You will need to show exactly what you mean, because I don't get that. When I substitute ##\Theta(r,t) = G(r,t) +ur^2 + vr + w + p/r## into your PDE I end up with
$$ \frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2} G(r,t) +\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} G(r.t) + \frac{\partial}{\partial t} G(r,t) +\frac{2 v}{r} + 6u + C = 0,$$
so taking ##u = -C/6, v = 0## gives a separable PDE. The two constants ##w## and ##p## drop out, so can be used to help meet boundary conditions, for example.

1. How do I solve a Bessel-like equation for R(r) with unknown boundary conditions?

The first step in solving a Bessel-like equation for R(r) with unknown boundary conditions is to identify the type of Bessel equation you are working with. This will determine the appropriate method for solving it. Then, you can use techniques such as separation of variables or power series expansion to find a solution for R(r). Finally, you can use the given boundary conditions to determine the constants in the solution and fully solve the equation.

2. What is a Bessel-like equation?

A Bessel-like equation is a type of differential equation that has a similar form to the Bessel equation, but with different coefficients or variable terms. These equations often arise in physical problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry, such as in heat conduction or wave propagation.

3. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are specific conditions that must be satisfied at the boundaries of a given physical system. In the context of solving a Bessel-like equation for R(r), boundary conditions refer to the values or relationships that R(r) must have at the specified boundaries of the system. These conditions are essential in fully solving the equation and finding a unique solution.

4. Can I use a computer program to solve a Bessel-like equation for R(r)?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages that can be used to numerically solve Bessel-like equations for R(r) with unknown boundary conditions. These programs use numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods to approximate the solution. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the theory and techniques involved in solving these equations in order to properly interpret and use the results from the computer program.

5. Are there any special cases of Bessel-like equations that are easier to solve?

Yes, there are certain special cases of Bessel-like equations that have known analytical solutions and are therefore easier to solve than the general case. For example, the modified Bessel equation and the cylindrical Bessel equation have well-known solutions that can be used in specific applications. However, most Bessel-like equations do not have analytical solutions and must be solved using numerical methods.