Best Book for Physics? Name Recommendations

In summary, the conversation suggests several books for learning physics at different levels and topics, including "Newtonian Mechanics" by French, "Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppener Kolenkov, "Vibrations and Waves" by French, "Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism" by Kip, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell, "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Callen, "An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements" by Taylor, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Feynman, "Physics" 2nd edition expanded by Ohanian, and "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler.
Aditya Vishwak
Can anyone name me a good book to learn physics? Please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Aditya Vishwak said:
Can anyone name me a good book to learn physics? Please...
That's quite a broad request. You'll have to give folks an idea of your level and goal if you expect a useful recommendation.

Want a book for relativity?

Introductory physics - pls look up Douglas Giancoli - very nice intro with lots of pics etc

I believe it's classical physics, you are interested in.
MY humble suggestion is this

To start
(get this is you can afford only one book):

French - "Newtonian Mechanics"
(it's not only about mech, it's about physics and how to study it)

To move on:

Mechanics

Kleppener Kolenkov, "Introduction to Mechanics"
French, "Vibrations and Waves"

EM
Kip, "Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism"
Purcell, "Electricity and Magnetism"

Thermal
Callen, "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics"

Basic statistics for error analysis
Taylor, "An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements"

All-in-ones

*insightful* --> Feynman, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" (they are online for free!)
*quick reference* --> Ohanian, "Physics" 2 edition expanded (newer editions look worse in my eyes)

Oops, I see now you posted "want a book about relativity?" (it would be nice if OPs had some sort of colored background to make it clear when they re-enter the thread... I tend to overlook the names...)

So,

Relativity (special)
Taylor, Wheeler, "Spacetime Physics" (to begin with)
I have not found one single textbook that satisfies me, but let's say that
French, "Special Relativity", albeit a bit old and still using relativistic mass to some extent is a nice entry point for a beginner

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What are the top recommended books for studying physics?

The top recommended books for studying physics include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

2. What is the best book for someone new to physics?

The best book for someone new to physics would depend on their current level of understanding and their specific interests within physics. However, "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene are both excellent introductory books.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a physics textbook. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources provide videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help students better understand the material.

4. Can you recommend a book for advanced topics in physics?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, and Matthew Sands is a highly recommended book for advanced topics in physics. It covers a wide range of topics and is known for its clear and engaging writing style.

5. Is there a best book for preparing for physics exams?

There is no one "best" book for preparing for physics exams, as it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and the specific exam they are preparing for. However, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett and "Cracking the AP Physics 1 Exam" by The Princeton Review are both popular choices for exam preparation.