1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best book on fluid mechanics

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    which is better fluid mechanics book , frank white or munson from complete beginning to the advanced level.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're both pretty widely used. It really comes down to personal taste. Neither will go to "advanced" levels in any depth, though. They will give you a bit of a taste of advanced topics but things like turbulence and compressible flows and stability theory and other such things warrant their own more advanced texts.

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    They are both good. I think I prefer Munson, but I have used both.

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

6. Feb 23, 2016 #5
    My personal favorite is Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. This book also has sections on heat transfer and mass transfer.

7. Feb 24, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Landau, Lifshtitz vol. VI is also a very good intro to hydrodynamics.

8. Feb 24, 2016 #7
    Grangers book I think is the best for an undergraduate. It is an old book but does a phenomenal job explaining things both mathematically and practically. I used this book in my grad fluids class as a secondary reference and in undergrad as a primary reference. I think most advanced general fluids books are crap - you are way better off buying books on specific topics (such as boundary layer flows, turbulence, microfluidics, etc) than something like White, Kundu, or Panton (a disgrace to fluids books).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted