Best book reference for studying quantum physics

In summary, if you are looking for a good book on quantum mechanics that is introductory-level, I recommend Eisberg Resnick or Schumacher Westmoreland. If you are looking for a more modern introduction, I recommend Cohen-Tannoudji.
mark_usc
Dear mates:

Please recommend me the best book for studying quantum physics.

With all the best

Marco Uscanga

Physics news on Phys.org
There are good free introductory notes by Braam Gaasbeek: http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.4184.

You can use any standard texts like French and Taylor, Griffiths, Zettili etc to start.

After that take a look at Shankar, Sakurai and Napolitano, and Nielsen and Chuang.

And after that take a look at Landau and Lifshitz or Weinberg.

Of course you don't have to read them in that order.

Last edited:
Quantum physics, or quantum mechanics?

For an introduction to quantum physics I recommend:
Quantum Physics (Berkeley Physics Course, Volume 4), by Eyvind H. Wichmann.

Here I've seen a lot of people referring to Balentine's book... I guess it's good for more advanced QM...

ChrisVer said:
Here I've seen a lot of people referring to Balentine's book... I guess it's good for more advanced QM...

IMHO it is indeed the best graduate level text and had a strong effect on me.

But be clear - introductory it aren't.

At an introductory level I recommend Susskind:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465036678/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are also video lectures to go with it.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
UltrafastPED said:
Quantum physics, or quantum mechanics?
Good question, it is always useful to distinguish these two different but related topics.

UltrafastPED said:
For an introduction to quantum physics I recommend:
Quantum Physics (Berkeley Physics Course, Volume 4), by Eyvind H. Wichmann.
My recommendation is Eisberg Resnick:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/047187373X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For a modern introduction to quantum mechanics, I recommend Schumacher Westmoreland:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/052187534X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal favorite for beginners:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, by D.Griffiths

Very nice and intuitive guide though all the key concepts of quantum mechanics, especially in the first two chapters where it becomes clear what QM is actually all about! It also provides numerous examples and problems so you can practice your understanding.

I am reading Cohen-Tannoudji and I strongly recommend it.
It is complete and precise, but of course not easy to understand

1. What is the best book for beginners to study quantum physics?

The best book for beginners to study quantum physics is "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner. It provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to the subject, making it accessible for readers with no prior knowledge of physics.

2. What are the most recommended textbooks for advanced study of quantum physics?

Some of the most recommended textbooks for advanced study of quantum physics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Quantum Physics" by Stephen Gasiorowicz. These books cover the fundamental concepts of quantum mechanics in detail and are commonly used in university courses.

3. Are there any online resources for studying quantum physics?

Yes, there are several online resources for studying quantum physics, such as online courses, lecture notes, and video tutorials. Some popular online platforms for learning quantum physics include Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to study quantum physics?

Yes, a strong background in math is essential for studying quantum physics. The subject involves complex mathematical concepts like linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. It is recommended to have a good understanding of these concepts before diving into the study of quantum physics.

5. Can I learn quantum physics without a formal education in physics?

While a formal education in physics can provide a strong foundation for studying quantum physics, it is not necessary. With the availability of online resources and self-study materials, it is possible to learn quantum physics without a formal education in the subject. However, a strong interest and dedication to learning the subject are crucial for success.