Best Circuit simulation Software?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LTSpice IV for testing circuits. The participants agree that it is a great program for simple circuits and has a virtual oscilloscope feature. It is also easy to use, fast, accurate, and free. Some people use it for fun and others use it for advanced programming. The conversation also mentions an example where LTSpice was used to vary the gain of a transistor. The participants recommend learning LTSpice and offer help if needed. A separate question is asked about a square waveform generator circuit and a link is provided to a circuit using opamps.
Siike92
I recently downloaded LTSpice IV to use for testing circuits. Before I start to really learn the software I'd like to know if it's what I should be using or if there's something better. Basically I'm just testing simple circuits, but I do need the software to have a virtual oscilloscope.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I can't speak for others, but I learned LTSpice. It works good. You get waveform like on the oscilloscope. For normal frequency stuff, I get everything I want from LTSpice.

I agree.

This program is easy to use, fast, accurate and free.

And, it is fun to use.

I visit the yahoo LTSpice Group and the experts there get amazing results by direct programming.

I just use it to confirm (or deny) results I get with a calculator or sometimes to teach me how a circuit will work.
Sometimes I use it just because it is fun to use.

Here is an example where I varied the gain of a transistor by use of a direct command:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/LTSpice%20example.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I figured LTSpice was the standard. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on anything before I started learning it.

Learn it, it's easy. Two or three posts from vk6kro helping me, I was on my merry way already. Any question, just post here.

Hi,
I need a simple square waveform generator circuit that uses opamps

Thanks a lot

1. What is the best circuit simulation software available?

The best circuit simulation software available depends on the specific needs and requirements of the user. Some popular options include LTSpice, NI Multisim, and PSpice. It is important to research and compare different software to find the one that best suits your needs.

2. What features should I look for in a circuit simulation software?

Some important features to look for in a circuit simulation software include a user-friendly interface, accurate and reliable results, a wide range of components and models, and the ability to simulate complex circuits. It is also beneficial to choose a software that offers support and updates.

3. Can circuit simulation software be used for both analog and digital circuits?

Yes, most circuit simulation software is capable of simulating both analog and digital circuits. However, some software may specialize in one over the other, so it is important to check the capabilities of the software before choosing it for a specific circuit type.

4. Is circuit simulation software suitable for beginners?

It depends on the specific software and the user's level of understanding of circuit design and simulation. Some software may have a steeper learning curve and require some prior knowledge, while others may have a more user-friendly interface and tutorials for beginners.

5. Is it necessary to have a high-performance computer to run circuit simulation software?

It is not necessary to have a high-performance computer to run circuit simulation software, although it may improve the speed and efficiency of the simulations. Most software can run on standard computers, but it is important to check the system requirements of the software before purchasing it.