1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best linear algebra book

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    What would the best linear algebra book be?

I'm looking for one that has alot of expositition and tries to get the underlying concepts across.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    I used Linear algebra by David C lay when I took my first course in that subject. I don't think its too bad of a text.
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

try hoffman and kunze, or lang, or shifrin and adams. there is no best book, just one that is good for you

also free notes by ruslan sharipov. or finite dimensional vector spaces, by paul halmos.

or my free webnotes.
  5. Dec 29, 2008 #4

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    ... found my way here by googling "best linear algebra book". The book I used in my first course at a university was Anton & Rorres, and that one does not answer my occasional linear algebra queries anymore. Thanks for the recommendation of Hoffman & Kunze. I'll try it if I can find it at a reasonable price (The current price at the link to play.com is 98 EUR :( ).
  7. Oct 16, 2009 #6
    amazon.com has it cheaper.
  8. Oct 16, 2009 #7
  9. Oct 16, 2009 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Oct 16, 2009 #9
    Halmos' Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces is my personal favorite... then for Abstract Algebra go with MacLane's Algebra
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?