Best Open source projects to contribute to?

In summary, the conversation is about finding open source projects to contribute to in order to build a resume and programming portfolio. The suggestion is to check Github, particularly in the area of the Processing IDE platform or Rosettacode.org. Some potential projects mentioned are creating plugins for different languages in Processing IDE or contributing to tasks in various languages on Rosettacode.org. OpenCV and projects involving AI are also mentioned as popular options.
TheMacNerd
Hi,

I'm looking for open source projects to contribute to to build my resume and computer programming portfolio to hopefully land a computer-related job. What are good open source projects that I can contribute to?

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you checked github? or sourceforge?

Github is perhaps THE platform to look to.

One area would be the Processing IDE platfomr where you could contribute tools, libraries or even plugins for other java-based languages. Currently, they support Java, Javascript, Android Java and Jython/Python modes. It would be cool to have plugins for Scala, Groovy, Clojure, Kotlin or Go (not java-based but popular) which would allow folks to use Processing IDE to learn about these languages.

Another is Rosettacode.org where you contribute code to solve some task in one of the 80+ languages they are showcasing.

Likes QuantumQuest
OpenCV is always an attention grabber, generally anything involving AI.

1. What are open source projects?

Open source projects are software projects that have their source code available to the public for viewing, modifying, and distributing. This means that anyone can use, study, and improve the code, making it a collaborative effort.

2. Why should I contribute to open source projects?

Contributing to open source projects allows you to improve your coding skills, gain experience working in a team, and give back to the community. It can also help you build a portfolio and make valuable connections in the industry.

3. How do I find the best open source projects to contribute to?

There are various ways to find open source projects to contribute to. You can start by browsing popular platforms like GitHub, GitLab, or SourceForge. You can also join online communities and forums related to your interests and skills to discover projects that align with your goals.

4. What makes a good open source project to contribute to?

A good open source project should have clear documentation, a welcoming and inclusive community, and active maintenance and development. It should also align with your interests and skills, and have a clear roadmap or list of issues for contributors to work on.

5. How can I contribute to open source projects?

There are many ways to contribute to open source projects, such as writing code, improving documentation, providing feedback, fixing bugs, and creating new features. Some projects may also need help with design, marketing, or translation. You can also reach out to the project maintainers and ask how you can best contribute.