Best review paper on the observational status of black holes?

In summary, there are two possible review papers that meet most of the criteria for an observational status of astrophysical black holes. The first one, available for free online, is specifically about Sgr A* but also covers upcoming VLBI and x-ray observations. The second paper, also available for free online, discusses upcoming VLBI images of Sgr A* and the potential for imaging other black holes, but does not specifically focus on solar-mass black holes. It is noted that imaging stellar mass black holes is not yet feasible.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Suppose I have to pick one review paper on the observational status of astrophysical black holes. It should:
-be as up to date as possible
-be available for free online (preferably on arxiv)
-cover both supermassive and solar-mass black holes
Does anyone have any suggestions?

This one meets most of the criteria, but it's only about Sgr A*: http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.0064

How about info on upcoming VLBI and x-ray observations of Sgr A*?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
How about info on upcoming VLBI and x-ray observations of Sgr A*?

Here's a good place to start on this question:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.3899

Thanks, phyzguy! That's a cool paper. I hadn't realized that observations of Sgr A* had progressed so far already. They're already at the point where their measurements are starting to probe the spin.

Maybe I'm just not going to find an all-in-one review paper on both supermassive and solar-mass black holes. Does anyone know of a good review paper on the latter? Is Sgr A* so much easier to work with that attention has shifted completely to it, at least as a probe of strong-field GR?

I saw a talk by Broderick, one of the co-authors of that paper. I remember two important points. He said:

(1) We will absolutely have VLBI images of SgrA* that will resolve the event horizon within 5 years.
(2) The only other black hole with an angular size comparable to SgrA* is the one in Centaurus-A. Although it is ~500 times further away than SgrA*, the SMBH in CenA is ~1E9 suns, vs 4E6 suns for SgrA*, so the angular sizes are roughly comparable.

I don't know much about stellar mass black holes, but a quick calculation says that in order for a stellar mass black hole (say M=40 suns) to subtend the same angular size as SgrA*, it would need to be .08pc away, This is ~20X closer than Alpha Centauri. Thus, it seems like we will not be imaging stellar mass black holes any time soon!

1. What exactly is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. This is due to the huge amount of mass packed into a small area, creating a strong gravitational force that traps everything around it.

2. How do we know black holes exist if we can't see them?

While we cannot see black holes directly, we can infer their existence through their effects on nearby objects, such as stars and gas. These objects behave in ways that can only be explained by the presence of a massive, invisible object, which we identify as a black hole.

3. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity. This creates a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume. As matter continues to fall into the singularity, it creates a point of no return called the event horizon, beyond which nothing can escape.

4. Can black holes ever die?

According to current theories, black holes do not die. However, they can evaporate over a very long period of time through a process called Hawking radiation. This occurs when particles near the event horizon are pulled apart, with one particle escaping and the other falling into the black hole, causing it to lose mass.

5. What current research is being done on black holes?

Scientists are actively studying black holes to better understand their properties and behavior. This includes using advanced telescopes and instruments to observe and measure black holes, as well as conducting simulations and experiments to test different theories and models of black holes.