Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best review paper on the observational status of black holes?

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose I have to pick one review paper on the observational status of astrophysical black holes. It should:
    -be as up to date as possible
    -be available for free online (preferably on arxiv)
    -cover both supermassive and solar-mass black holes
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

This one meets most of the criteria, but it's only about Sgr A*: http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.0064

How about info on upcoming VLBI and x-ray observations of Sgr A*?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Here's a good place to start on this question:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0906.3899

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, phyzguy! That's a cool paper. I hadn't realized that observations of Sgr A* had progressed so far already. They're already at the point where their measurements are starting to probe the spin.

Maybe I'm just not going to find an all-in-one review paper on both supermassive and solar-mass black holes. Does anyone know of a good review paper on the latter? Is Sgr A* so much easier to work with that attention has shifted completely to it, at least as a probe of strong-field GR?

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I saw a talk by Broderick, one of the co-authors of that paper. I remember two important points. He said:

(1) We will absolutely have VLBI images of SgrA* that will resolve the event horizon within 5 years.
    (2) The only other black hole with an angular size comparable to SgrA* is the one in Centaurus-A. Although it is ~500 times further away than SgrA*, the SMBH in CenA is ~1E9 suns, vs 4E6 suns for SgrA*, so the angular sizes are roughly comparable.

I don't know much about stellar mass black holes, but a quick calculation says that in order for a stellar mass black hole (say M=40 suns) to subtend the same angular size as SgrA*, it would need to be .08pc away, This is ~20X closer than Alpha Centauri. Thus, it seems like we will not be imaging stellar mass black holes any time soon!

6. Sep 7, 2010 #5
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook