Best Shape for TIR: Glass Container | Optics Discussion

• Thread starter jobsism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary, for maximum Total Internal Reflection, a cylindrical shape of the container would be best when placed in close proximity to a concave reflecting surface. The container should be hollow and placed just above the curved surface of the mirror.
jobsism
For a container made of glass, what geometrical shape of the container would be best for maximum Total Internal Reflection, given that light incident on it is coming after reflection from a concave mirror?

My hunch is that a cylindrical shape of the container is best, but I was not so sure after the shape of a Diamond came into my mind! (I'm not very good in Optics! :D). What do you guys think is the best shape?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set-up isn't clear to me. Does the 'container' have to contain anything? Where is the container to be in relation to the real image formed by the concave mirror?

The set-up is simple. Light rays from everywhere possible, hit a concave reflecting surface, and the container is placed in close proximity to it (strategic placement of the container would be so as to have maximum amount of light entering it), so that light rays entering it undergo maximum TIR. Yes, the container is to have "something" in it potentially that would make illumination of the light best, but I think it would make the set-up complicated. So, for now, just assume it's hollow.

For simplicity, just assume that a concave mirror is kept on its curved surface on the floor, and the container is placed just above it(not on it!). Now, what should be the shape of the container if whatever light from the reflecting surface is to hit it, and undergo maximum TIR?

1. What is TIR and why is it important in glass container design?

TIR stands for total internal reflection and it is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index. In glass container design, TIR is important because it allows for maximum light transmission and minimizes loss of light energy, making the container more efficient for its intended use.

2. What is the best shape for TIR in a glass container?

The best shape for TIR in a glass container is a shape with a high refractive index and smooth, curved surfaces. This allows for the most efficient TIR to occur, maximizing light transmission and minimizing energy loss.

3. How does the thickness of the glass affect TIR in a glass container?

The thickness of the glass can affect TIR in a glass container by altering the angle at which light enters and exits the container. Thicker glass may require a higher angle of incidence for TIR to occur, whereas thinner glass may require a lower angle. It is important to consider the thickness of the glass when designing for optimal TIR.

4. Can TIR be achieved in non-cylindrical glass containers?

Yes, TIR can be achieved in non-cylindrical glass containers as long as the shape allows for smooth, curved surfaces and a high enough refractive index. However, cylindrical shapes tend to be the most efficient for TIR due to their uniformity and symmetry.

5. How does the type of glass used affect TIR in a glass container?

The type of glass used can greatly affect TIR in a glass container. Different types of glass have different refractive indexes, which can impact the angle at which TIR occurs. Additionally, the quality and clarity of the glass can also affect TIR. It is important to consider the type and quality of glass when designing for optimal TIR in a glass container.