Better to start learning calculus from precalculus

In summary, these books are hard for most pre-calc students to follow without some prior calculus background.
philippe311
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding CALCULUS.
Is it better to start learning calculus from precalculus or calculus, say in general? When I mentioned calculus, I meant Calculus written by Spivak or Courant, which I think starts off with basic concepts leading to advanced ones.

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Just to clarify: are you asking if you could read Spivak or Courant without a prior calculus background?

They are marvelous books but a bit too challenging for most pre-calc students. Most students would need at least one of the following three items to benefit from Spivak or Courant:
- a calculus background
- experience with formal mathematics and proofs
- a good teacher

Yes both of these texts are challenging and will prepare you for just about any real analysis text written at the freshman or sophomore undergraduate level (Rudin, Apostol, Kolmogorov & Fomin, etc.). My advice is definitely to try to find these books in a library or on google books and decide for yourself. See if you can follow the author's arguments. If you decide that it's too hard for you, there are other goods texts out there that are less challenging. I recommend Lang's First Course in Calculus.

owlpride said:
Just to clarify: are you asking if you could read Spivak or Courant without a prior calculus background?

They are marvelous books but a bit too challenging for most pre-calc students. Most students would need at least one of the following three items to benefit from Spivak or Courant:
- a calculus background
- experience with formal mathematics and proofs
- a good teacher

Although I have studied pre-calculus a year and half ago in a different language, now I am about to start learning calculus and this question came to my mind, what should I do? learn pre-calculus or start calculus first.

And thanks for your reply, I really enjoy being advised.

snipez90 said:
Yes both of these texts are challenging and will prepare you for just about any real analysis text written at the freshman or sophomore undergraduate level (Rudin, Apostol, Kolmogorov & Fomin, etc.). My advice is definitely to try to find these books in a library or on google books and decide for yourself. See if you can follow the author's arguments. If you decide that it's too hard for you, there are other goods texts out there that are less challenging. I recommend Lang's First Course in Calculus.

Thanks, I would definitely start looking at these texts, and then see where it goes.

1. What is the importance of learning precalculus before calculus?

Learning precalculus before calculus is crucial because it sets the foundation for understanding the concepts and techniques used in calculus. Precalculus covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and functions that are essential for solving more complex problems in calculus.

2. Can I skip precalculus and directly start learning calculus?

Technically, you can start learning calculus without precalculus, but it is not recommended. Skipping precalculus can make it challenging to understand the fundamental concepts of calculus and can lead to confusion and frustration.

3. How long does it take to learn precalculus?

The time it takes to learn precalculus can vary depending on the individual's learning pace and prior knowledge of math. On average, it can take several months to a year to learn precalculus thoroughly.

4. What topics are covered in precalculus?

Precalculus typically covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, functions, logarithms, and geometry. These topics are essential for understanding the concepts and techniques used in calculus.

5. Is precalculus necessary for all fields of science?

No, precalculus may not be necessary for all fields of science. However, it is a critical subject for fields that heavily rely on calculus, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is always best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the necessary math courses for your specific field of study.