1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better to stay outside the Hurricane or head inside the eye?

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine the following. You and your best friend are at sea on your ship. Your
    ship is designed to withstand seas during 120 knot winds. You measure the winds
    outside your ship at 30 knots. From satellite images and Global Positioning System
    (GPS) data, you pinpoint your position at 60 nautical miles from the centre of a
    hurricane. The satellite image shows that the eye of the hurricane hasn't changed
    position in hours and that the diameter of the eye is 20 nautical miles. The forecast
    from the National Hurricane Center has (correctly) forecast that the hurricane will
    not intensify. Your best friend thinks that the way to survive the storm is to head
    to the hurricane's eye where winds and the sea will be calm. What is your reply to your friend's suggestion?
    Explain your reasoning.

2. Relevant equations

None given.

3. The attempt at a solution

Think her suggestion is wrong because the eye of the storm is well known to be calm , she is not considering the fact that we have to go through the axis of rotation. Also, I'm having trouble understanding how I am suppose to use the numbers provided, is there a formula that would better supplement my reasoning.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted