Better to stay outside the Hurricane or head inside the eye?

In summary, I would advise against heading towards the eye of the hurricane as it may be too dangerous for our ship and the forecast predicts that the storm will not intensify.
chrisman10

Homework Statement

Imagine the following. You and your best friend are at sea on your ship. Your
ship is designed to withstand seas during 120 knot winds. You measure the winds
outside your ship at 30 knots. From satellite images and Global Positioning System
(GPS) data, you pinpoint your position at 60 nautical miles from the centre of a
hurricane. The satellite image shows that the eye of the hurricane hasn't changed
position in hours and that the diameter of the eye is 20 nautical miles. The forecast
from the National Hurricane Center has (correctly) forecast that the hurricane will
not intensify. Your best friend thinks that the way to survive the storm is to head
to the hurricane's eye where winds and the sea will be calm. What is your reply to your friend's suggestion?
Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

Think her suggestion is wrong because the eye of the storm is well known to be calm , she is not considering the fact that we have to go through the axis of rotation. Also, I'm having trouble understanding how I am suppose to use the numbers provided, is there a formula that would better supplement my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would tell my friend that her suggestion is not a good idea. Hurricanes are powerful storms, and the eye of the storm is known to be calm. However, we have to travel through the axis of rotation to get to the eye, and that may be too dangerous given our ship's capabilities. Our ship is only designed to withstand winds up to 120 knots, and the current winds outside our ship are 30 knots. If we try to go to the eye, we may encounter winds that exceed our ship's capabilities. Additionally, the forecast from the National Hurricane Center indicates that the hurricane will not intensify, so we should stay put in our current location and wait out the storm.

1. Should I stay outside the hurricane or head inside the eye?

The decision to stay outside or head inside the eye of a hurricane depends on several factors, including the strength of the hurricane, the location of the eye, and your surroundings. If you are in a sturdy building with proper shelter, it may be safer to stay inside. However, if you are in a vulnerable area or if the hurricane is particularly severe, it may be safer to evacuate and seek shelter elsewhere.

2. Is the eye of a hurricane safe to be in?

The eye of a hurricane is often referred to as the "calm" part of the storm, as winds are typically weaker and there is less rain. However, it is important to remember that the eye is surrounded by the eye wall, which contains the most intense winds and precipitation. As the eye passes over, conditions can quickly change, and it is not safe to assume that the eye will be a safe place to be.

3. Can I stay outside the hurricane to avoid damage to my home?

Staying outside during a hurricane is extremely dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. Hurricane-force winds can cause significant damage to buildings and can also pick up and hurl debris, causing injury or even death. It is always best to seek shelter in a sturdy building and follow evacuation orders if necessary.

4. What should I do if I am caught outside during a hurricane?

If you are caught outside during a hurricane, seek shelter immediately. If you cannot find a sturdy building, look for low-lying areas and lie flat on the ground, covering your head with your arms. Avoid areas with trees, power lines, or other objects that could fall or be blown around by the wind.

5. How long does the eye of a hurricane last?

The duration of the eye of a hurricane varies depending on the size and speed of the storm. Generally, the eye can last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more. However, as the eye passes over, conditions can change quickly, and it is important to remain in a safe shelter until the storm has completely passed.