Bezier curves and equally distributed parametric points (easy ?)

In summary, the conversation is about a user developing a mathematical model for the motion of a robot using Bézier curves. They discuss using a free parameter 't' to control the velocity/acceleration of the robot along the curve and the problem that arises with higher degree curves. They mention possibly using an inverse function or considering the arc length. Another person suggests a PDF that may provide a solution.
Nikarasu M
Hello,

I am an amateur developing the math to describe the motion of a robot of sorts.

At this stage I'd like to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézier_curve" as user input to describe the motion path/s that it will make over time... (imagine it sitting flat on the cartesian 'floor')

I'd first convert the free parameter 't' (time) into another parameter say 's' (speed) via a function of t so the user can have control over the velocity/accel of the robot throughout its traversing of the Bezier curve.. ('t' would tick away as usual and the 's' would actually be the free parameter).

This will work nicely with linear Bezier paths as if you use equal increments of 't' then the parametric points on the linear path are also equally distributed - this means my new 's' should translate perfectly onto the path also.

Problem comes when I want to use Bezier curves of higher than degree two...

The points as you traverse along the path become distributed unequally, with more 'resolution' or bunching around the apex (in the case of a parabola/degree two quadratic Bezier), which will translate into slower motion around this area. :zzz:

I'd like to know how to compensate for this exactly, some sort of inverse function that needs to be applied to 't' ?? ... similar to what I wanted to do with it to convert it into 's', but before doing so in that there would now actually be a function upon a function ...

I imagine maybe if I gave it a crack something to do with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_length" might help, but am guessing/hoping that this problem has already been solved or another way of thinking about it might help ...

any ideas ?

Hope I am making sense ! (?)

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
woah,

nice - looks good~!

thanks

1. What is a Bezier curve?

A Bezier curve is a mathematical curve used in computer graphics and modeling. It is defined by a set of control points and a degree, which determines the smoothness of the curve. Bezier curves are commonly used in designing and animating shapes and objects in 2D and 3D software.

2. How are Bezier curves created?

Bezier curves are created by interpolating between the control points using a mathematical formula. The control points act as anchors for the curve, and the degree determines the number of control points used and the complexity of the curve. The resulting curve is smooth and continuous.

3. What are parametric points?

Parametric points are points that are defined by a set of parameters, rather than their coordinates on a traditional x-y axis. In the case of Bezier curves, the parameters are typically the control points and the degree. Parametric points allow for greater control and precision in creating curves and shapes.

4. How are parametric points distributed equally along a Bezier curve?

Parametric points can be distributed equally along a Bezier curve by using a technique called de Casteljau's algorithm. This algorithm divides a Bezier curve into smaller segments, and the parametric points can be evenly spaced along these segments. This ensures that the points are distributed equally along the curve, resulting in a smoother and more accurate shape.

5. Are Bezier curves and equally distributed parametric points easy to use?

While Bezier curves and equally distributed parametric points may seem intimidating at first, they are relatively easy to use once you understand the basic principles. Many 2D and 3D software have tools and plugins that make creating and manipulating Bezier curves and parametric points easier. With some practice and experimentation, anyone can learn to use them effectively.