Integral equivalent to fitting a curve to a sum of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a mathematical technique that can find a continuous equivalent of fitting a curve to a sum of functions, specifically using Gaussians where the standard deviation varies in each point. The closest approach found so far is the Weierstrass transform, but it lacks the variability of the convoluting kernel. The main challenge is finding the functions t(y) and f(y). The possibility of using heteroscedastic Gaussian Processes is also mentioned as a potential solution.
admixtus
Hello,

I am searching for some kind of transform if it is possible, similar to a Fourier transform, but for an arbitrary function.

Sort of an inverse convolution but with a kernel that varies in each point.

Or, like I say in the title of this topic a sort of continuous equivalent of fitting a curve to a sum of functions.

For example if I want to use Gaussians, I want to reproduce a function [tex] F(x) [/tex]

As:

[tex] F(x) = \int \frac{f(y)}{\sqrt{4\pi t(y)}}e^{-\frac{(x-y)^2}{4 t(y)}} dy [/tex]

Notice how t is a function of y.
This is easy for a finite sum of Gaussians with linear regression, but I'm searching for a continuous equivalent.

The closest thing that I found for Gausses is a Weierstrass transform. But the 'standard deviation' of the gausses doesn't vary in each point.

There are a ton of subjects that come close (linear regression, inverse convolution, Weierstrass transform,..) but they either are discrete or lack the variability of the convoluting kernel.

Does someone know a mathematical technique that can do this? Or know in what direction I have to look? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite clear on what is given. Obviously F is given, and you want to find f, but how about t? Is t(y) a given function?

haruspex said:
I'm not quite clear on what is given. Obviously F is given, and you want to find f, but how about t? Is t(y) a given function?

Yes, t(y) and f(y) are functions that I want fo find, yes. Maybe I should have written it explicitly like that instead of implying it by saying the the kernel was variable.

admixtus said:
Yes, t(y) and f(y) are functions that I want fo find, yes. Maybe I should have written it explicitly like that instead of implying it by saying the the kernel was variable.
From my reading of the subject (totally new to me until I saw your post) the Weierstrass transform is exactly that, a transform, so is, generally speaking, invertible. This means there is not enough information to find t. Your mission would make more sense if t(y) were given. Am I missing something?

Not sure if this is what you are after, but look at the discussion of heteroscedastic Gaussian Processes at https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~andrewgw/andrewgwthesis.pdf

Last edited:

Related to Integral equivalent to fitting a curve to a sum of functions

1. What is the purpose of fitting a curve to a sum of functions?

The purpose of fitting a curve to a sum of functions is to find a single function that accurately represents a set of data points. This allows for easier analysis and prediction of future data points.

2. How is this process different from traditional curve fitting?

The process of fitting a curve to a sum of functions involves using multiple functions to create a more complex curve, while traditional curve fitting uses a single function to approximate the data points. This allows for a more precise representation of the data.

3. What is the advantage of using an integral equivalent for curve fitting?

Using an integral equivalent allows for a more flexible and accurate curve fitting process. It also allows for the incorporation of multiple variables and parameters, making it suitable for more complex data sets.

4. Can any type of data be fit to a sum of functions?

Yes, as long as the data can be represented by a function, it can be fit to a sum of functions. This method is particularly useful for data sets that do not follow a simple linear or polynomial trend.

5. Are there any limitations to this approach?

One limitation is that the process of finding the integral equivalent can be time-consuming and requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts. Additionally, the accuracy of the curve fit depends on the chosen functions and the quality of the data.