Gearing & Torque: Can My Tricycle Motor Get the Job Done?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of not getting enough torque when adding a motor to a tricycle. The motor came with a 6in sprocket, which does not fit on the axil. The proposed solution is to set up a continuous loop with a 1in, 6in, and 4in sprocket, but it is concluded that this will not increase the torque. Instead, a reduction gear using a larger gear on the "idler shaft" is suggested.
drwly
I have put together a tricycle, but it only allows for a 4in sprocket on the axel. I have added a motor to the tricycle and do not get enough torque. The motor came with a 6in sprocket, which will not fit on the axil.
My idea is to set it up so the chain goes from the motor 1in to the 6in to the 4in in one continuous loop. WILL this get me the torque I should be getting?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
drwly said:
I have put together a tricycle, but it only allows for a 4in sprocket on the axel. I have added a motor to the tricycle and do not get enough torque. The motor came with a 6in sprocket, which will not fit on the axil.
My idea is to set it up so the chain goes from the motor 1in to the 6in to the 4in in one continuous loop. WILL this get me the torque I should be getting?
Welcome to the PF.

Can you use the UPLOAD button at the lower right to post a couple pictures of what you are trying to do? :smile:

here is the bicycle basic drawing.

Attachments

• bycycle gearing.jpg
    bycycle gearing.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 427
drwly said:
here is the bicycle basic drawing.
This configuration will not gain you the torque that you are looking for. The 6" gear in the center appears to be acting as a large idler. To increase the torque you would need to run from the small gear at the right side of your drawing to a larger one on the "idler shaft" this would then create a reduction gear of sorts. Than on the same idler shaft have a parallel smaller gear which is connected to the final shaft on the left side of the drawing.
To do the calculation on this one needs to take each pair independently first and then calculate the final ratio using the two reductions.

Likes billy_joule
Thanks I rather figured that's the way it would be.
Drwly

1. Can my tricycle motor handle steep inclines?

It depends on the specific motor and its torque capabilities. Some tricycle motors are designed for flat terrain and may struggle with steep inclines, while others have higher torque and can handle hills more easily.

2. How does gear ratio affect torque?

The gear ratio of a tricycle motor can have a significant impact on its torque. A higher gear ratio means the motor can generate more torque, making it better for climbing hills or carrying heavy loads. However, a higher gear ratio also means a lower top speed.

3. Is it better to have a higher or lower torque tricycle motor?

Again, this depends on your specific needs. A higher torque motor will be better for tackling hills and carrying heavy loads, but it may sacrifice speed. A lower torque motor may be more efficient for flat terrain and allow for higher speeds.

4. How can I increase the torque of my tricycle motor?

There are a few ways to increase the torque of a tricycle motor. One option is to adjust the gear ratio to a higher setting. Another is to upgrade to a motor with higher torque capabilities. Adding a battery pack can also increase torque by providing more power to the motor.

5. Can I use a tricycle motor for other purposes besides riding?

Yes, tricycle motors can be used for a variety of purposes, such as powering small vehicles or machines. However, it's important to make sure the motor has enough torque and power for the specific task at hand.