Bifurcated Asteroid - Centrifugal force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the spin rate at which two components of a bifurcated asteroid will separate. The formulas for centrifugal force and gravitational force are mentioned, along with the question of what "r" represents in the equations. The speaker eventually comes to the conclusion that "r" likely refers to the distance from the center of rotation to the interface between the two bodies.
higginsdj
Hi, my math and physics are poor so please bear with me.

I have an bifurcated asteroid - 2 components. A sphere diameter 1.5km (m1) and a larger sphere, 2km in diameter (m2). The spheres are touching. System spins around the long axis.
Assuming both bodies have internal strength (not gravitationally bound rubble piles), I need to calculate the systems spin rate at which point the bodies separate for varies densities.

Now I know the physics:
Fcentrigual = 4 Pi^2 r / P ^2 (P is spin rate in seconds)
Fgravity = G * (4/3 * Pi * Rm1^3 * rho)*(4/3 * Pi * Rm2^3 * rho) / r^2 (rho = density)

Now in a large system (someone on the surface of earth) r is easy but in a system as described above, what is r? Is it the distance from the systems centre of rotation to the interface between the 2 bodies or the centre of the system to the centre of the sphere component? Does this apply to both calculations or is the measure of r different for each?

Cheers

David

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe I have answered my own question.

What is a bifurcated asteroid?

A bifurcated asteroid is a type of asteroid that has split into two distinct pieces, usually due to a collision with another object.

How does centrifugal force affect a bifurcated asteroid?

Centrifugal force is the outward force experienced by an object rotating around a central point. In the case of a bifurcated asteroid, centrifugal force can cause the two pieces to drift apart over time, creating a wider gap between them.

What are the potential consequences of a bifurcated asteroid?

If a bifurcated asteroid is on a collision course with Earth, the two pieces could potentially hit the Earth at different times and locations, causing multiple impacts and increasing the overall damage.

How do scientists study bifurcated asteroids?

Scientists study bifurcated asteroids using various methods, including telescopes, radar imaging, and spacecraft missions. They also use computer simulations to model how these asteroids may have formed and evolved over time.

Can a bifurcated asteroid be prevented from colliding with Earth?

It is possible for scientists to predict the trajectory of a bifurcated asteroid and potentially deflect it from its collision course with Earth. However, this would require advanced planning and technology, and there is no guarantee of success.