Understanding the "Bifurcated fan": Examples and Illustrations

• Thread starter kach22i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary, a bifurcated fan is a type of axial fan that has a split shroud, creating two forked channels for air flow. This design is often used to shield the motor from hot gases and can come in various configurations, including a centered engine pod or a remote drive system.
kach22i
"Bifurcated fan"

What does the term "Bifurcated fan" actually mean?

Please provide a link to some examples and or illustrations which clarify the term.

The images and text I've seen using Google image search
"Bifurcated fan" have shown.......

1. Axial fan with centered engine pod; front intake, rear thrust.

2. Axial fan with centered engine pod; front intake, right and or left
thrust (sides).

3. Axial fan front and back (possible common shaft) opposing intakes,
with exhaust/thrust top and bottom or right and left (sides).

4. Axial fan with remote drive (via belt) including combinations above
(1,2, & 3).

Like many architectural terms (my thing) you may not obtain it's true meaning and
context from regular dictionaries. I will assume "Bi" means split in
two somehow. That could mean split thrust, split intake or split flow
by engine placement.

What the heck is "Furcated" by it's self?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bifurcated means "split into two forks" or "branches", so snakes have bifurcated tongues.

As for a bifurcated fan, well the shroud in which the fan sits splits into two forked channels which carry the air, so there is a void behind the axis of the fan itself. Google images results are pretty self explanatory. They're used where the motor needs to be shielded, from hot gases for instance.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=bifurcated fan&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited:
Thank you.

FAQ: Understanding the "Bifurcated fan": Examples and Illustrations

1. What is a "Bifurcated fan"?

A "Bifurcated fan" is a type of fan that consists of two separate fan blades that rotate in opposite directions. This design allows for a more efficient and powerful airflow compared to traditional single-blade fans.

2. What are some examples of "Bifurcated fans"?

Some examples of "Bifurcated fans" include the Dyson Air Multiplier fan, the Vornado 610DC Energy Smart Air Circulator, and the Honeywell TurboForce Air Circulator. These fans are known for their unique dual-blade design and powerful airflow.

3. How does a "Bifurcated fan" work?

A "Bifurcated fan" works by using two separate blades that rotate in opposite directions. The blades create a vortex effect, which draws air in from behind the fan and amplifies it as it exits through the front. This design allows for a more concentrated and powerful airflow.

4. What are the benefits of using a "Bifurcated fan"?

The main benefit of using a "Bifurcated fan" is the increased efficiency and effectiveness of the airflow. The dual-blade design allows for a more concentrated and powerful breeze, making it ideal for cooling larger spaces. Additionally, "Bifurcated fans" often have a sleek and modern design, making them a visually appealing choice for home or office use.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a "Bifurcated fan"?

One potential drawback of using a "Bifurcated fan" is that they can be more expensive than traditional single-blade fans. Additionally, the unique design may not be suitable for all spaces and may be more difficult to clean. It is important to carefully consider your needs and budget before investing in a "Bifurcated fan."