Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N.Korea

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm looking for some specific info right now, but seems no one (who'll talk) has any idea what happened.

4. Sep 12, 2004 #3
    Apparently it happened 3 days ago and there is no confirmation as to the source of said event, nucaleare :rofl: or otherwise. If the reports are correct though, it does seem close enough to be nucaleare :rofl: . Horeshoes and hand grenades! I wonder how the ROVER will spin this one?

5. Sep 12, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CNN: Not a nuclear explosion.

6. Sep 12, 2004 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

7. Sep 12, 2004 #6
    So? CNN also said the killer bees were coming and our Society was going to fall into 'mass chaos and confusion' at the year 2000.

8. Sep 12, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Killer bees are here. Society is in mass chaos and confusion.

9. Sep 12, 2004 #8
    Right. Good Point. :tongue2:

I just had the impression it would be a little more so.

10. Sep 12, 2004 #9
    Society is inherently a chaotic system, so maybe cnn consulted someone before that report. Talk about CYA:tongue2: ! I still dont see how killer bees could be some causal event to mahem and destruction.

Who knows, maybe little kim is really trying to get into the club! If this turns out to be true, how long will the Iranians hold off so they could evade the rath of Sharon?

11. Sep 12, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More: Not quite so clear cut it seems.

http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6211261

12. Sep 12, 2004 #11
    It would be quite embarrassing to this administration if it was a test. Though that should not be a difficulty in terms of damage control for rover and crew. I'm still waiting for them to tell me that the world is flat(though this would be true in a GR sense!).

13. Sep 12, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, perhaps tomorrow, we'll hear more definitive news.

14. Sep 12, 2004 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

...yes, that will give it one more day to get even more twisted... :biggrin:

15. Sep 12, 2004 #14
  16. Sep 12, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The forest fire thing sounds too much like swamp gas from a weather balloon refracting the light from venus.

17. Sep 12, 2004 #16
    The amazingly credible Powell comforting the American people with swamp gas...

18. Sep 15, 2004 #17
    Hi All,

Let me add my 2 cents to this discussion no matter how disturbing i may suggest it has become. Including putting other events into focus and context.

Link

With that quoted, perhaps the North Korean's upped their timetable for a nuclear test. Due to the recent revelation of South Korea dabbling in nuclear material themselves. Much like when President Clinton was in office that both India & Pakistan did back to back nuclear bomb tests underground, as their form of saber rattling.

But, why would North Korea set off a nuclear bomb test above ground level? The fallout reprecussions on themselves and the region including China would piss off everyone.

I also say that it was a "Nuclear Explosion" that took place. Due to these variables, when have we ever seen Napalm and other military munitions including bombs explode in a mushroom cloud formation? I don't recall that at all, the radius of the explosion has been stated to be felt and seen from both China and South Korea. The other explosion before this one at North Korea at a railway industrial area didn't have the signature mushroom cloud as a explosive accident. (meaning it was a non-nuclear explosion)

If it was a nuclear test, they the North Koreans were nimrods to do it above ground due to the fallout. That remote region of North Korea may have had a nuclear weapons lab, perhaps undergound? If that was the case, perhaps they were preparing for a nuclear bomb test, but had a FUBAR accident?

Link

The US and other nations with a screen of spy satellites in orbit around the Earth 24/7/365. Were the ones to tip off that a explosion took place at that railway industrial area, and now at this missile range slash nuclear testing facility. The US stating they have no idea that it was nuclear is major shovel full of BS. Because, these spy satellites as often been said, especially of the American ones. Have the capacity to see within a few meters on the ground, through buildings (perhaps underground?), and in many sprectrums of light. I may even speculate that they have other onbroad sensors, if not the NASA & European satellites do around orbit of the Earth and can detect a nuclear explosion. Keeping in mind these satellites are recording anything and everything 24/7/365.

The reason why the US officials are saying they don't know anything. Is they want the North Koreans to "Fess Up" that a nuclear explosion took place, it's all politics. The US, Chinese, and some other European nations certainly know it was nuclear explosion. But, remember President Bush was all adamant that we invaded Iraq due to WMD's. If it was declared that North Korea has cooked off a nuclear bomb, it would be a "slap in the face" to this White House administration.

===============

Now if what i have stated hasn't already concerned many of you, it gets worse. What if it wasn't a nuclear bomb test above ground, nor a accident before a such a test?

What if it was a retalitory nuclear bunker bomb delivered as a misslie. (picture a tomohawk missile) That hit that underground missile range slash nuclear testing facility? Perhaps it was the US, maybe the Chinese, or another nation or rogue element within North Korea?

If this was a take down military strike at this facility, it would explain why it exploded above ground, and not below like a more present day nuclear bomb test. Perhaps President Bush was sending a clear message not to screw with the USA and the world?

The winds in the region will start blowing fall out nuclear particles all over the place. Let's wait until South Korea, China, or other regional neighbors start reporting that.

It's a crazy world, especially for those who don't care about it.

19. Sep 15, 2004 #18
    You have a sound argument there Atrayo. I hope your wrong and it wasn't a nuclear attack, guess we have to wait and see.

20. Sep 15, 2004 #19

plover

Homework Helper

Actually this is well documented—conventional explosions that are large enough to cause mushroom clouds just haven't occurred very often. IIRC, there was a U.S. munition transport ship that exploded near the end of WWII that was a good example of such a conventional explosion.

Whatever other reasons there may be to believe that the explosion was nuclear, this is actually not one.

21. Sep 15, 2004 #20
    Bring out the geiger counters, such as those orbiting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?