Bigger Planet, Same Gravity -- Different Density?

In summary: Thanks Scott. What do you mean when you say "of course, you can give it a heavier core and allow lighter oceans on the surface"? Sorry I don't understand this stuff as well as you do!In summary, if a planet were three times the size of Earth with the same gravitational pull, its material would be similar to Jupiter, with a heavier core and lighter oceans on the surface.
scifiwriter888
I'm doing some research for a sci-fi story that I'm writing and hoping that some of you chemists can help me answer a quick question about the material of a hypothetical distant planet.

If a distant planet were three times the size of Earth with the same gravitational pull, what would the planet's material be like?

Would it have to be gaseous? Is there any situation in which it would be firm enough for earth-like life forms to walk on? Is there a version where the material is something like quicksand?

Please excuse my ignorance! Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would have to be one-third as dense as Earth - or a specific gravity of roughly 1.83.
At it would have to be able to retain that sg under high pressure - so light clays or plaster probably would not work.

Pure water would be too light.

How about Beryllium, Cesium, Phosphorus, epoxy, fiber glass, or a mixture. Of course, you can give it a heavier core and allow lighter oceans on the surface.

Jupiter has density around 1.3 g/mL, Staurn even below 1 g/mL, so definitely some combination of heavy rock core and gas could produce density you are looking for. But I doubt in the solid surface then. Perhaps solid surface on the planet moon would suffice?

.Scott said:
It would have to be one-third as dense as Earth - or a specific gravity of roughly 1.83.
At it would have to be able to retain that sg under high pressure - so light clays or plaster probably would not work.

Pure water would be too light.

How about Beryllium, Cesium, Phosphorus, epoxy, fiber glass, or a mixture. Of course, you can give it a heavier core and allow lighter oceans on the surface.

Thanks Scott. What do you mean when you say "of course, you can give it a heavier core and allow lighter oceans on the surface"? Sorry I don't understand this stuff as well as you do!

Borek said:
Jupiter has density around 1.3 g/mL, Staurn even below 1 g/mL, so definitely some combination of heavy rock core and gas could produce density you are looking for. But I doubt in the solid surface then. Perhaps solid surface on the planet moon would suffice?

Hm interesting. The planet moon would still have to be smaller in order to keep that gravity/solid surface, right? If the moon were three times the size of earth, I'd still run into the same problem?

scifiwriter888 said:
Thanks Scott. What do you mean when you say "of course, you can give it a heavier core and allow lighter oceans on the surface"? Sorry I don't understand this stuff as well as you do!
It simply has to average 1.83. So the middle could be heavier and the surface lighter.

scifiwriter888 said:
The planet moon would still have to be smaller in order to keep that gravity/solid surface, right? If the moon were three times the size of earth, I'd still run into the same problem?
Not sure what you mean. Too large moon means actually a double planet, I am not sure if such systems are stable in a long run, especially when other planets are present. Smaller and more dense moon would have a solid surface without problems, just like our Moon does, but the lower mass definitely means lower gravity on its surface.

Related to Bigger Planet, Same Gravity -- Different Density?

What is the concept of "Bigger Planet, Same Gravity -- Different Density"?

The concept states that a planet can have the same gravitational force as another planet, despite having a different size and density. This means that two planets with different masses and sizes can still have the same gravitational pull.

How is it possible for two planets to have the same gravity but different densities?

Gravity is determined by the mass and distance between two objects. If two planets have the same mass, but one has a larger volume (i.e. lower density), the gravitational force at the surface will be the same for both planets.

What are the implications of this concept for planetary formation?

This concept suggests that planets can form with different sizes and densities, but still have the same gravitational force. This could help explain the diversity of planets in our solar system and beyond.

How does the density of a planet affect its habitability?

The density of a planet can impact its habitability in several ways. A lower density planet may have a weaker magnetic field, making it more vulnerable to solar wind and radiation. It may also have a thinner atmosphere, making it harder for life to thrive. However, a lower density planet may also have a more varied and diverse surface, which could provide more opportunities for life.

What research has been done on this concept and what are some current theories?

Scientists have been studying this concept through computer simulations and observations of exoplanets. Some theories suggest that a planet's composition and internal structure can play a role in determining its density and size. Others propose that the formation process of a planet can also impact its density and size. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the relationship between planetary size, density, and gravity.