Bike Wheel Question: Kinetic Energy Lost on Impact

• Thread starter rtsswmdktbmhw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike Wheel
In summary, a dart traveling at velocity v parallel to the wheel's center hits the rim of a bicycle wheel at rest and sticks, causing a loss of kinetic energy. The loss of energy can be quantified by comparing the kinetic energy of the dart before and after the collision, using the rotational inertia of the wheel and dart and conservation of angular momentum. This is considered a completely inelastic collision, with some energy being lost to friction and vibrations in the wheel. The angular momentum of the dart can be calculated about any chosen axis.
rtsswmdktbmhw

Homework Statement

Bicycle wheel is at rest, and can rotate frictionlessly about a fixed axle. A dart travels at velocity v (in plane of wheel) parallel to a line that goes through the centre of the wheel. It hits the rim of the wheel and sticks.

What kinetic energy, if any, is lost during impact?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about something like 'the kinetic energy whose component is perpendicular to the rim of the wheel at impact is lost', but energy is scalar so that didn't seem right. Is there some better worded solution/reasoning? Perhaps the fixed axle buffers the wheel and so some kinetic energy is lost?

Or, am I supposed to answer these types of questions simply by directly calculating before/after?

Also (as an aside), is it correct to take the angular momentum of the dart simply to be about the axis of the wheel, and = ##\vec r\times \vec p## at the instant it hits the rim? (I haven't included the relevant question here.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The dart comes to standstill and the wheel is not rotating! Read! Think! Don't just reproduce info.

andrevdh said:
The dart comes to standstill and the wheel is not rotating! Read! Think! Don't just reproduce info.
The dart is not brought to a complete standstill, it starts the wheel turning.

That is what happens if you do not read carefully!
Some energy will be lost due to the work being done against friction upon entry,
but it will be minimal due to the sharp point.

I think the expectation is for some equations to quantify the loss of energy. Perhaps the loss could be related to the perpendicular distance of the incoming dart's path from a parallel path through the wheel axle.

andrevdh said:
Some energy will be lost due to the work being done against friction upon entry,
What friction is this? Is it due to the fact that the dart stuck to the rim? Wikipedia says that inelastic collision is one where the two objects e.g. carts stick after collision, but I wasn't sure if that would apply here since that dart has a sharp end.
NascentOxygen said:
I think the expectation is for some equations to quantify the loss of energy. Perhaps the loss could be related to the perpendicular distance of the incoming dart's path from a parallel path through the wheel axle.
Yes, this is usually what I would do as it's probably the most straightforward way.. But some of the solutions I have been given to similar questions have been qualitative, so I wasn't too sure if quantifying it was the expected approach.

If quantifying, then it would just be 0.5*m*v^2 of dart = 0.5*I*omega^2 (wheel + dart after collision) right?

rtsswmdktbmhw said:
If quantifying, then it would just be 0.5*m*v^2 of dart = 0.5*I*omega^2 (wheel + dart after collision) right?
Energies? You're assuming energy is conserved, but it won't be. The whole aim of the exercise, IMO, is to arrive at a formula that shows what percent of the energy is lost. (Remember, a "currency" that is conserved during the exchange is momentum.)

If the dart were incoming on a path directed through the wheel's axis, then all energy would be lost. The dart would halt and the wheel would not be turned.

Oh, whoops, I meant comparing, not equating, the 0.5*m*v^2 (before collision) with 0.5*I*omega^2 (after collision), where I is the rotational inertia of wheel+dart and omega can be worked out via conservation of angular momentum.

andrevdh said:
I believe this should be treated as a completely inelastic collision. Mechanical energy will be lost both to friction and to vibrations in the wheel, but that's unimportant here.

NascentOxygen said:
a "currency" that is conserved during the exchange is momentum.
Umm, no. It's mounted on a fixed axle, and there will be an unknown reaction from that.
rtsswmdktbmhw said:
is it correct to take the angular momentum of the dart simply to be about the axis of the wheel,
It's not that the angular momentum is about any particular axis; you choose your axis and calculate the angular momentum about it.
rtsswmdktbmhw said:
and = r⃗ ×p⃗ \vec r\times \vec p at the instant it hits the rim? (I haven't included the relevant question here.)
Yes, and it is relevant to this question.

1. What is kinetic energy lost on impact?

Kinetic energy lost on impact refers to the amount of energy that is lost when a bike wheel collides with an object or surface. This loss of energy is due to factors such as friction, deformation, and sound, and it can affect the overall efficiency and performance of the bike.

2. How is kinetic energy lost on impact calculated?

Kinetic energy lost on impact can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the bike wheel and v is the velocity at which it is traveling. The difference between the initial kinetic energy and the final kinetic energy after impact is the amount of energy lost.

3. What causes kinetic energy to be lost on impact?

Kinetic energy can be lost on impact due to various factors such as friction between the bike wheel and the surface it is colliding with, deformation of the wheel or the object it is hitting, and the production of sound and heat. These factors can absorb some of the energy that the wheel had before the impact, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

4. How does the design of a bike wheel affect kinetic energy lost on impact?

The design of a bike wheel can have a significant impact on the amount of kinetic energy that is lost on impact. Wheels with thicker and wider rims tend to absorb more energy due to their increased surface area, while wheels with lighter and more aerodynamic designs may lose less energy. Additionally, the type of material used for the wheel can also affect its ability to retain kinetic energy upon impact.

5. How can kinetic energy lost on impact be minimized?

To minimize kinetic energy lost on impact, various measures can be taken such as using materials that are more resilient and can absorb impacts better, reducing the weight of the bike wheel, and using design elements that can help to dissipate energy more efficiently. Regular maintenance and tuning of bike wheels can also help to reduce the amount of energy lost on impact.