Billiard device to shoot the cue ball?

In summary: Basically, you would build a device that holds a pool cue. The mass is attached to the cue in some fashion (you have to be a bit creative here) and as the mass drops it takes the shot for you. All you do is aim. Vary the mass / height to get a different shot power.
fahadrebdi
What possible device out there that can make me give a constant power to the cue ball (the white one) as i break the rest of the balls?

Like is there something automatic or something becuase this is for an experiment i want to do

advice pleasez
thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
A little bit of creativity wouldn't go wasted here.

This sounds a bit like a school project you need to design / build something for. I'll give you a hint, but you really need to show your own thoughts on the matter to gain help.

Think about a weighted mechanical system. One where you could alter the height of the weight to generate different, consistent amounts of force.

Think about the effect of coils of wire on magnetic rods.

JAred james: well no this is something i will just be doing during the summer and i want a good device to work on it ... well do u mean a pendulum hitting the ball work ?? so i will lift it at high height then i would let go of it and it will hit the cue ball ... but i thought of that and think that it won't be that strong if it hits the cue ball as it won't break the triangle at enough strong force... SO iam thinking more like of an actual device to purchase if any

Jobrag: But that is not my experiment .. my experiment is related to pool and i have my research question and all .. its just i want a device which would give me a constant force to the cue ball which will break the triangle.

fahadrebdi said:
JAred james: well no this is something i will just be doing during the summer and i want a good device to work on it ... well do u mean a pendulum hitting the ball work ?? so i will lift it at high height then i would let go of it and it will hit the cue ball ... but i thought of that and think that it won't be that strong if it hits the cue ball as it won't break the triangle at enough strong force... SO iam thinking more like of an actual device to purchase if any

A pendulum would provide more than enough force if you get the mass right.

Basically, you'd build a device that holds a pool cue. The mass is attached to the cue in some fashion (you have to be a bit creative here) and as the mass drops it takes the shot for you. All you do is aim. Vary the mass / height to get a different shot power.
Jobrag: But that is not my experiment .. my experiment is related to pool and i have my research question and all .. its just i want a device which would give me a constant force to the cue ball which will break the triangle.

Actually, Jobrag's device would do the job nicely. It would just take a bit more effort.

How can it be a project? It sounds like you just want to buy something to break for you.

"Basically, you'd build a device that holds a pool cue. The mass is attached to the cue in some fashion (you have to be a bit creative here) and as the mass drops it takes the shot for you. All you do is aim. Vary the mass / height to get a different shot power."

sorry i didn't understand your idea... like what do u mean by pool cue? and in general i didnt get this idea lol sorry. ..

And yes i would prefer buying a good device so it can break the triangle of the pool for me.. there for i can control that variable

It is a project because i have my reseach question which investigates two variables the rest i must keep constant which in this case i must keep the force of the ball constant

Last edited:
fahadrebdi said:
"Basically, you'd build a device that holds a pool cue. The mass is attached to the cue in some fashion (you have to be a bit creative here) and as the mass drops it takes the shot for you. All you do is aim. Vary the mass / height to get a different shot power."

sorry i didn't understand your idea... like what do u mean by pool cue? and in general i didnt get this idea lol sorry. ..

You don't know what a cue is? It's the stick you use to hit the white ball. :rolleyes:

It's going to be fascinating research if you don't understand the basic game and then jump into analysing breaks.

You have a cue attached to a weight. As the weight falls, the cue 'takes the shot'. Altering the weight allows you to alter the force of the shot.

haha no i actually know the game very well and good at it as well .. by the way that's called the cue stick not only cue ... as there is also the cue ball not the white ball .

Back to your idea so basically how do i use the weight to hit the cue stick.. and how can i attach the weight anyways ?

what I am visualizing in my mind now is this :

So the weight would be attached in a pendulum sense of way then i would let go of the weight letting it hit the cue stick from behind and giving it the shot? but there is lots of error could be gained from that. Can you please be more specific as to make it a very consistent mechanism. Thanks tho for advice so far.

fahadrebdi said:
haha no i actually know the game very well and good at it as well .. by the way that's called the cue stick not only cue ... as there is also the cue ball not the white ball .

So you couldn't put cue and cue stick together? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, my description was perfectly valid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_stick
A cue stick (or simply cue, more specifically pool cue, snooker cue, or billiards cue)

Note the use of "more specifically".
Back to your idea so basically how do i use the weight to hit the cue stick.. and how can i attach the weight anyways ?

Is there no imagination with you? A bit of creativity?

Hang a weight with a piece of string perhaps.
So the weight would be attached in a pendulum sense of way then i would let go of the weight letting it hit the cue stick from behind and giving it the shot? but there is lots of error could be gained from that. Can you please be more specific as to make it a very consistent mechanism. Thanks tho for advice so far.

That sounds like an OK device. Why would there be error? If you use the same cue each time, same balls, same weight - the results would be fairly consistent. The major error would occur with you not resetting the balls to the exact position each time.

The force the pendulum would strike with would be well within your accuracy range, but it wouldn't take much to affect results if you set the balls up slightly differently each time. For example, a small gap between the balls on one shot would yield a different result to having no gap.

One improvement would be to ensure the weight is constantly attached to the weight perhaps. It would allow a much smoother cue action.

Do you think it would make a strong force anyways ? as i don't think it would be effective in breaking the triangle

fahadrebdi said:
Do you think it would make a strong force anyways ? as i don't think it would be effective in breaking the triangle

Once again, you can alter the weight. If there is enough weight and drop you will get plenty of force.

what possibly could the weight be ? a spherical or square shape or something else?

Shape is irrelevant. It simply needs to be heavy enough to provide the required force.

A lump metal would do the job, probably only need to be a few kg.

fahadrebdi said:
what possibly could the weight be ? a spherical or square shape or something else?

What you're trying to build is quite simple conceptually, the trick will be in the actual execution.

It sounds like you need to enlist the help of an engineer-hobbyist friend.

We can't do that electronically, you'd need someone to choose materials and draw up a design based on some testing of forces required etc. (eg. are we talking a 1kg weight or a 10kg weight? How big will the device be?) and then design a rig and then actually build it. You would not want to build something that throws this amount of energy around if you don't know what you're doing.

Something else to consider: does the pool table need to be clear for the balls to bounce around? Does your device have a requirement to not interfere with the balls after the break? that wil dramatically affect the solution.

Find a friend who is willing to help you build it.

First I am a student and i don't think i could ask for that help i will be doing it by my self. Is there like some device ready online which would at least just shoot the cue ball (white ball) at a constant force every time ( i could almost do 100 trials as that's how complicated it is) .. any suggestions of this sort will be helpful ... since designing the device myself is my last option

I've looked around, there are none available as far as I can tell.

It's a DIY job. Why can't you ask for help?

i know its been very hard looking for something online ... wat do you mean DIY? ... and who can help me? since defiantly my teacher is not an option for now on this.

Last edited:
DIY = Do It Yourself.

Do you not have friends capable of helping?

If your teacher is clueless, who will be checking your work? Why are you doing this?

How old are you? When you said student I assumed university, but I feel knowing your actual knowledge level will help.

With respect, the level of knowledge you've displayed so far tells me you aren't capable of building / performing this experiment let alone analysing the results.

im 17 and I am in skl. My teacher is not familiar with technology developments as much since he's good with the theory mostly.

skl? You mean school.

I think you'd benefit a lot from designing and building a device to do this. Again, why not ask friends to help?

We here aren't going to provide you with some device designs and instruction. We will certainly help and answer questions, but doing all the work for you just isn't going to happen.

So why are you performing this experiment? It really is starting to sound like a school project.

Well if you realized i didn't ask you to do any work at all .. I am only asking for a device that anyone knows and can recommend me to "buy" it .. you were the one who proposed for me to do an actual design and i asked you to just explain it more since i didn't understand what you said.

fahadrebdi said:
Well if you realized i didn't ask you to do any work at all .. I am only asking for a device that anyone knows and can recommend me to "buy" it .. you were the one who proposed for me to do an actual design and i asked you to just explain it more since i didn't understand what you said.

I've looked, you've looked, they don't sell them by the look of it.

If you are determined to do this, you will have to build it yourself. It's really not that difficult to do.

i guess that's my only option then ...

fahadrebdi said:
i guess that's my only option then ...

Good man, now get designing! You'll find it a very good learning experience.

But if by any chance you found something worth while to purchase which could help in any way just please tell me. Like any thing which would just hit that ball! haha thnx anyways

Related to Billiard device to shoot the cue ball?

1. What is a billiard device to shoot the cue ball?

A billiard device to shoot the cue ball is a tool used in the game of billiards to accurately hit the cue ball and control its direction and force. It is typically made of a sturdy shaft with a cue tip at one end and a handle at the other.

2. How does a billiard device to shoot the cue ball work?

The billiard device works by using the shaft to hit the cue ball with a controlled amount of force and direction. The cue tip is used to make contact with the cue ball, and the handle is used to guide and stabilize the shot.

3. What are the different types of billiard devices to shoot the cue ball?

There are several types of billiard devices to shoot the cue ball, including one-piece cues, two-piece cues, and break cues. One-piece cues are made from a single solid piece of wood or other material, while two-piece cues can be separated into two parts for easier transport. Break cues are designed specifically for breaking the rack of balls at the beginning of a game.

4. How do I choose the right billiard device to shoot the cue ball?

The right billiard device for you will depend on your personal preferences and playing style. It's important to try out different types of cues to see which one feels most comfortable and gives you the best control over the cue ball. Consider factors such as weight, length, and balance when choosing a cue.

5. How do I maintain and care for my billiard device to shoot the cue ball?

To keep your billiard device in good condition, it's important to clean and maintain it regularly. Use a cue cleaner or a damp cloth to wipe down the shaft and tip after each use. Store your cue in a cool, dry place and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture. It's also a good idea to have your cue re-tipped every 6-12 months to ensure optimal performance.