What is the distance and mass of a binary star system with given parameters?

In summary, the question asks for the distance and masses of a visual binary star system based on the apparent magnitude and spectral type of the primary star, as well as its angular semi-major axis and period. The equations used to solve this problem include the mass-luminosity relation and the relationship between angular semi-major axis and distance. However, there is uncertainty on whether the spectral type can be used to estimate the mass or luminosity of the primary star, as it was not mentioned in the lecture or textbook.
rockyleg

Homework Statement

In an visual binary star system,the apparent magnitude of the primary star is m=9.8 and its spectrral type is G2V.The angular semi-major axis is φ=0''.1 and the period of the system is 24y.Find the distance of the system r and the two masses.The Sun's absolute magnitude is a given.(The luminance-mass relation ##L \propto M^{3.5}## is also known.)

Homework Equations

$$ M_1 +M_2 = \frac {A^3}{P^2}$$
$$ A= \frac{\phi}{\pi}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$ M-m=5-5logr $$
$$ M-M_{sun} = 2.5 log (\frac{L_{sun}}{L} = 3.5 x 2.5 log( \frac{M_{sun}}{M_1} ) ) $$
$$ \pi = \frac{1}{r}$$
And I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the spectral type to estimate the luminosity or mass of the primary star?
Otherwise I think you are missing one equation.

Your luminosity/mass relation equation looks odd.

Thanks for replying!
Well,according to wikipedia,the mass of a standard G2V star is 1.07 solar masses but I don't think this would be an accepted solution by the examiner since spectral types weren't mentioned in the lecture and there is no spectral type to mass index in the textbook.
I might use it anyway,though.
Thanks again!

rockyleg said:
I don't think this would be an accepted solution by the examiner since spectral types weren't mentioned in the lecture and there is no spectral type to mass index in the textbook
There's no point in having the question specify spectral type unless you are expected to use it somehow.

haruspex said:
There's no point in having the question specify spectral type unless you are expected to use it somehow.
Not really.It is common in this course's problem sets to be given information that isn't part of the solution.I would guess this is common in many places,is it not?

rockyleg said:
Not really.It is common in this course's problem sets to be given information that isn't part of the solution.I would guess this is common in many places,is it not?
It should be more common than it is.:frown:

Likes mfb

1. What is a binary star system?

A binary star system is a system consisting of two stars that orbit around a common center of mass.

2. How are binary star systems formed?

Binary star systems are formed through the collapse of a molecular cloud, which causes the formation of multiple stars in close proximity to each other.

3. What is the significance of studying binary star systems?

Studying binary star systems allows scientists to better understand the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the role of gravity in celestial bodies.

4. How do scientists measure the distance between two stars in a binary star system?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as parallax and spectroscopy, to measure the distance between two stars in a binary star system.

5. Can binary star systems have more than two stars?

Yes, binary star systems can have more than two stars, in which case they are called multiple star systems. Some multiple star systems can have up to hundreds of stars orbiting around a common center of mass.