Kepler's 3rd law and a binary system

In summary, the first three exoplanets were discovered using radial velocity data from a star in the system. The star was found to have the following observed parameters: 55 Cancri b corresponds to ##V_{obs}=71.8ms^m{-s}## and a ##P=14.6## days, 55 Cancri c corresponds to ##V_{obs}=10.0ms^{-s}##, ##P=43.9## days and 55 Cancri d corresponds to ##V_{obs}=47.2^m{-s}##, and ##P=5218## days. Assuming the orbits are coplanar and circular, the equations for the
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

I am having a issue with the question, when I check the solution to the problem, I can't seem to make sense of how they have derived there equation.

Q: By analyzing the superposition of frequencies and amplitudes in the radial velocity data for a star 55 Cancri A, the first three exoplanets in the system were deduced. The star was found ti have the following observed parameters: 55 Cancri b corresponds to ##V_{obs}=71.8ms^m{-s}## and a ##P=14.6## days, 55 Cancri c corresponds to ##V_{obs}=10.0ms^{-s}##, ##P=43.9## days and 55 Cancri d corresponds to ##V_{obs}=47.2^m{-s}##, and ##P=5218## days. Assuming the orbits are coplanar and circular, determin, (i) which planet is furthest from the star, (ii) which planet has the lowest mass and (iii) which planet has the highest mass.

There equation for the solution is

$$M_p=\left(\frac{PM_s^2}{2\pi G}\right)\cdot \frac{V_{\left\{obs\right\}\:}}{sin\left(i\right)\:}$$

Homework Equations

Mass function
##\frac{PV_{obs}^3}{2\pi G}=\frac{M_2sin^3\left(i\right)}{\left(M_1+M_2\right)}##
link to full derivation: https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/features/yba/CygX1_mass/binary/equation_derive.html

The Attempt at a Solution

binary_orbit.png
[/B]
I am slightly confused by there solution because if I were to rearrange the equation mass function to make ##M_2## the subject I get the following

##M_2=\left(\frac{PM_1^2}{2\pi G}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}\cdot \frac{V_{obs}}{sin\left(i\right)}##

which it the same as the equation given in the solution, but my assumption is that ##M_1>>M_2##

but this contradicts the diagram that I have shown because m1 is orbiting m2 which make m2 the larger of the two stars. This make me think maybe I am misunderstanding either the question, or the physics.

Any advice would be much appreciated and thank in advance

Attachments

• binary_orbit.png
    binary_orbit.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 913
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just swap m1 and m2 in the diagram? It shouldn't matter, the situation is symmetric.

I think you are over-thinking this. Ignore the fact that it is a binary star - the stellar companion is so far away that it has a negligible influence on the time scales we are talking about. Just consider it a single star with three planets orbiting it, all of which are much less massive than the star. Then what do you get?

1. What is Kepler's 3rd law?

Kepler's 3rd law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit around the sun. In other words, the farther a planet is from the sun, the longer its orbital period will be.

2. How does Kepler's 3rd law apply to a binary system?

In a binary system, where two objects orbit each other, Kepler's 3rd law can be applied to determine the relationship between the orbital periods and distances of the two objects. The sum of the orbital periods of the two objects is equal to the cube of the distance between them, divided by the sum of their masses.

3. Can Kepler's 3rd law be used to calculate the masses of objects in a binary system?

Yes, Kepler's 3rd law can be used to calculate the masses of objects in a binary system. By measuring the orbital period and distance between the two objects, the equation can be rearranged to solve for the sum of their masses.

4. How does the mass of the objects in a binary system affect their orbital period?

The mass of the objects in a binary system affects their orbital period by directly influencing the strength of their gravitational attraction. The greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the gravitational force, and the shorter their orbital period will be.

5. Can Kepler's 3rd law be applied to objects other than planets in a solar system?

Yes, Kepler's 3rd law can be applied to any objects that orbit each other, such as stars, moons, or even artificial satellites. As long as the objects are in a stable, elliptical orbit, their orbital periods and distances can be calculated using Kepler's 3rd law.