Binary Stellar System: 15M⊙ & 10M⊙ Revisited

In summary, the original binary system had mutual circular orbits at a distance of 0.001 pc. If the initial mass of the first star was 11 M suns, then the new system would no longer have circular orbits. If the initial mass of the first star was 15 M suns, the new system would still have circular orbits.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

A binary stellar system is made of one star with ##M_1=15{M}_\odot## and a second star with ##M_2=10{M}_\odot## revolving around circular orbits at a relative distance of ##d=0.001pc##. At some point ##M_1## explodes in a supernovae leaving a neutron star of mass ##M_{NS}=1.4{M}_\odot##. The new binary system ##NeutronStar-M_2## is still bounded? If the answer is positive, are they still on circular orbits? What would be the difference if the initial mass of ##M_1## were ##11{M}_\odot##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have first written the initial potential gravitational energy: ##E_{grav_i}=-\frac{GM_1M_2}{d}##. Then I can write the final one: ##E_{grav_f}=-\frac{GM_{NS}M_2}{a}## with ##a## the new separation. I have thought of using the conservation of energy:
$$E_i=E_f$$
$$E_i=-\frac{GM_1M_2}{d}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{M_1M_2}{M_1+M_2}v^2_i$$
$$E_f=-\frac{GM_{NS}M_2}{a}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{M_{NS}M_2}{M_{NS}+M_2}v^2_f$$
In order to find ##v^2_i## I have used the virial theorem: ##v^2_i=\frac{(M_1+M_2)G}{d}##; and substituing in the intial energy I have found: ##E_i=\frac{1}{2}\frac{GM_1M_2}{d}##. I can make something similar with the final situation and imposing the conservation of energy I have found just a relation to calculate ##a## and nothing else. I think what I have done is correct (I hope at least), but I have the sensation that this is not the way to solve the problem. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are ##v_i## and ##v_f##? There are two bodies, so won't they have different (linear) velocities?

You should be able to use the fact that the initial scenario has mutual circular orbits to determine the KE's of the two stars. Then you'll need to make (and state) an assumption about the initial velocity of the supernova remnant (the neutron star).

gneill said:
What exactly are ##v_i## and ##v_f##? There are two bodies, so won't they have different (linear) velocities?

You should be able to use the fact that the initial scenario has mutual circular orbits to determine the KE's of the two stars. Then you'll need to make (and state) an assumption about the initial velocity of the supernova remnant (the neutron star).

So I have to split the kinetic energies:
$$E_i=-\frac{GM_1M_2}{d}+\frac{1}{2}M_1v^2_1+\frac{1}{2}M_2v^2_2$$
I need to find the velocities, but first I need to find the distance of each star from the CM and I can use the property of the CM: ##R_1M_1=R_2M_2##. WIth ##d=R_2-R_1## I can find ##R_1## and ##R_2##. Then since they are revolving around circulat keplerian orbits I can state ##F_{grav}=F_{cent}##:
$$\frac{GM_1M_2}{R^2_1}=M_1\frac{v^2_1}{R_1}$$
$$v^2_1=\frac{GM_2}{R_1}$$
Analogously for ##v^2_2##.
I can make the assumption that the velocities just after the explosion are the same before it (I think it is reasonable), and so:
$$E_f=-\frac{GM_{NS}M_2}{a}+\frac{1}{2}M_{NS}v^2_1+\frac{1}{2}M_2v^2_2$$
I can use the conservation of energy to find ##a##. With ##a## I can calculate the new escape velocity for the neutron star ##v_{escape}=\sqrt{\frac{2GM_{NS}}{a}}##. If it is less than the velcocity of the neutron star the system is bound, otherwise it is not.
If what I have done is right (I am not so sure) I can find if the system is bound or not, but how can I found if the orbits are circular?

Aleolomorfo said:
So I have to split the kinetic energies:
$$E_i=-\frac{GM_1M_2}{d}+\frac{1}{2}M_1v^2_1+\frac{1}{2}M_2v^2_2$$
I need to find the velocities, but first I need to find the distance of each star from the CM and I can use the property of the CM: ##R_1M_1=R_2M_2##. WIth ##d=R_2-R_1## I can find ##R_1## and ##R_2##.
Shouldn't that be ##d = R_1 + R_2##? The R's are the orbit radii to the center of mass.
Then since they are revolving around circulat keplerian orbits I can state ##F_{grav}=F_{cent}##:
$$\frac{GM_1M_2}{R^2_1}=M_1\frac{v^2_1}{R_1}$$
$$v^2_1=\frac{GM_2}{R_1}$$
Analogously for ##v^2_2##.
I can make the assumption that the velocities just after the explosion are the same before it (I think it is reasonable), and so:
$$E_f=-\frac{GM_{NS}M_2}{a}+\frac{1}{2}M_{NS}v^2_1+\frac{1}{2}M_2v^2_2$$
I can use the conservation of energy to find ##a##. With ##a## I can calculate the new escape velocity for the neutron star ##v_{escape}=\sqrt{\frac{2GM_{NS}}{a}}##. If it is less than the velcocity of the neutron star the system is bound, otherwise it is not.
If what I have done is right (I am not so sure) I can find if the system is bound or not, but how can I found if the orbits are circular?
Overall it looks like a good plan. You should be able to use the concept of Total Mechanical Energy, ##\xi = KE + PE##, to determine whether or not the system is bound. If ##\xi## is negative then the system is bound.

To judge whether the new orbits will be circular, consider the required centripetal force and gravitational force again for the new arrangement.

gneill said:
Shouldn't that be d=R1+R2d=R1+R2d = R_1 + R_2? The R's are the orbit radii to the center of mass.
Yes, you are right.

gneill said:
You should be able to use the concept of Total Mechanical Energy, ξ=KE+PEξ=KE+PE\xi = KE + PE, to determine whether or not the system is bound. If ξξ\xi is negative then the system is bound.
So I can calculate the toal energy after the explosion (Can I make the extra assumption that even the separation ##d## remains unchanged? On the contrary I have to calculate the new separation using the conservation of energy or some other methods which do not come to mind):
$$E_f=-\frac{GM_{NS}M_2}{d}+\frac{1}{2}M_{NS}v^2_1+\frac{1}{2}M_2v^2_2$$
I can calculate ##v_1## and ##v_2## from the virial theorem as I said before. Substituing the values in this formula, if it is negative is bound, right?

gneill said:
To judge whether the new orbits will be circular, consider the required centripetal force and gravitational force again for the new arrangement.
Do I have to see if the centripetal force and the gravitational force are equal? But they are not the same for every orbit, indipendently from the shape?

Thank you very much for your help and hints.

Aleolomorfo said:
So I can calculate the toal energy after the explosion (Can I make the extra assumption that even the separation ##d## remains unchanged?
Yes. This will be true up to the moment after the supernova expelled mass shell passes beyond the second star. The speeds and separation should remain constant until then.
Aleolomorfo said:
I can calculate ##v_1## and ##v_2## from the virial theorem as I said before. Substituing the values in this formula, if it is negative is bound, right?
As stated above, the speeds will be the same as those before the explosion until the system has a chance to evolve in time. So you don't need to recalculate them to determine whether or not the new system is still bound.
Aleolomorfo said:
Do I have to see if the centripetal force and the gravitational force are equal? But they are not the same for every orbit, indipendently from the shape?
Yes you need to look at that. No they are not the same for every orbit shape. Only for circular orbits are they always equal. That's why, for example, elliptical orbits are not circular :smile:

Likes Aleolomorfo

1. What is a binary stellar system?

A binary stellar system is a system in which two stars are gravitationally bound and orbit around a common center of mass. This means that they are in a mutual orbit around each other and are held together by their gravitational attraction.

2. What does the notation "15M⊙ & 10M⊙" mean?

The notation "15M⊙ & 10M⊙" refers to the masses of the two stars in the binary system. The "M⊙" stands for solar mass, which is a unit of measurement used to describe the mass of stars. In this case, the first star has a mass of 15 times that of our Sun, while the second star has a mass of 10 times that of our Sun.

3. How is the binary stellar system studied?

The binary stellar system can be studied through various observational techniques such as spectroscopy, astrometry, and photometry. These techniques allow scientists to measure the properties of the stars, such as their masses, orbital periods, and distances from each other.

4. Why is the "15M⊙ & 10M⊙ Revisited" binary system significant?

The "15M⊙ & 10M⊙ Revisited" binary system is significant because it is a rare example of a highly unequal mass binary system. This means that the two stars have significantly different masses, which can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of binary systems.

5. What can the study of binary systems tell us about the universe?

Studying binary systems can provide important information about the physical processes that govern the formation and evolution of stars. It can also help us understand the distribution and properties of stars in our galaxy and beyond. Additionally, binary systems can be used as laboratories for testing theories and models of stellar evolution and dynamics.