Prove Binary System Brighter by 3/4 Magnitude Than Single Star

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that a binary system of stars is brighter by a magnitude of 3/4 compared to a single star. The formula (m1-m2)=-2.5log(f1/f2) is being used, and it is determined that f1/f2 for a binary system is 1, while for a single star it is 0.5. By comparing these values, it is possible to prove the brightness difference.
sheepcountme
I have to prove that a binary system of stars of equal mass, temp, etc. is brighter by a magnitude of 3/4 than a single star of equal mass, temp, etc.

I've been trying to work it out with (m1-m2)=-2.5log(f1/f2)

Might anyone be able to tell me if I am even on the right track?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sure. So what's f1/f2 for a binary system versus a single star?

Well, f1/f2 for a binary is 1, but how do I compare that to a single star?

Let me rephrase that. You want to compare the binary system (system 1) to the single star single (system 2). So, let f1 be the flux of the binary system, and let f2 be the flux of a single star. Then what's f1/f2?

Ah! so if f1/f2, is 1/.5 it works! Thank you!

1. How is the magnitude of a star measured?

The magnitude of a star is measured using a logarithmic scale, where the lower the number, the brighter the star appears. This scale was developed by the ancient Greek astronomer Hipparchus and is based on the brightness of the star compared to other stars in the sky.

2. What is the difference between a binary star system and a single star?

A binary star system consists of two stars orbiting around a common center of mass, while a single star is just one star. Binary star systems are more common than single stars in the universe.

3. How can the brightness of a binary star system be compared to a single star?

The brightness of a binary star system can be compared to a single star by calculating the combined magnitude of the two stars. This can be done using the formula: M = -2.5log(10)(F1 + F2), where M is the combined magnitude and F1 and F2 are the individual magnitudes of the two stars.

4. How much brighter is a binary star system compared to a single star?

A binary star system is 2.512 times (2.5 to the power of 0.75) brighter than a single star, which is equivalent to a difference of 0.75 magnitudes. This means that a binary star system will appear significantly brighter than a single star with the same magnitude.

5. Why is it important to prove that a binary star system is 3/4 magnitude brighter than a single star?

It is important to prove this because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of binary star systems. It also has implications for our understanding of stellar evolution and the formation of multiple star systems. Additionally, knowing the brightness of binary star systems can aid in the observation and study of distant objects in the universe.