What is the binding energy of H-1?

In summary, @Orodruin suggests that you may have made a mistake in your calculations. He recommends that you double check your work.
ZeroGravity
Hello Friends !
I have a question regarding binding energy...
Trying to calculate the binding energy of H-1 (hydrogen nucleus).
Well it is obvious that the binding energy is zero since there is no other nucleons that the proton is bound to.
But after having collected the best possible data of the atomic mass og H-1: from
http://www.physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin...lone.pl?ele=&all=all&ascii=ascii2&isotype=all
mh = 1.00782503223(9) u
one atomic mass unit:
1 u = 1.660539040 x 10-27 kg (http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?ukg)
The rest mass of a proton
mp = 1.672621898 x 10-27 kg (http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?mp)
The rest mass og an electron
me = 9.10938356 x 10-31 kg (http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?me)
m_nucleus = mh-me = 1.67262304224x10^-27 kg
m_defect =mp-m_nucleus =−1.14424320000x10^-33 kg

It surprises me that the result is negative and that it is so "large" a number.
I would suspect that I would get a positive number equal to the binding energy of the elevtrone ...i.e the equivalent mass og the binding energy 13.6 eV which equals E=m*c^2=> m =2.42442x10^-35 kg
This would suggest that the hydrogen atom has a mass that is 2.42442x10^-35 kg lower than the sum of the proton and electron mass which would result in a positive massdefect of 2.42442x10^-35 kg.
My result is thus a factor of about 200 "wrong"...and negative...
Any suggestions ?
Best of Greetings
Zero Gravity

Physics news on Phys.org
ZeroGravity said:
Any suggestions ?
I suggest you double check your numerical computations.

@ Orodruin
thanks for your comment...
Are you trying to tell me that I have made a mistake, or are you just guessing?
I have done the calculation a number of times, which is the reason I post here...
I do not think this is a simple matter og calculating ...
Zero Gravity

ZeroGravity said:
Are you trying to tell me that I have made a mistake, or are you just guessing?
I have done the calculation a number of times, which is the reason I post here...
Yes, you made a mistake. Correct arithmetics with your numbers give a hydrogen mass which is smaller than the mass of a proton + the mass of an electron which is much closer to the actual value

If I understand what you are saying correct...the method is ok, the numbers are ok ...
and a calculation with Ti, nSpire gives the result above...bold symbols are defined variables...
Ti_nSpire_Calculation.jpg

What is your _amu? Dividing your original expression with the result gives 1.660540200000e-27 kg, which is not equal to the number you have quoted for 1 u.

Thanks a lot :-)
I have done this over and over again, first with the built in values of mp, me and _amu in nSpire...then looked for more accurate values...
I now get a value much closer to the expected value of 2.42*10^-35 eV which is acceptable ( for me), still curious though what causes the difference om the secont digit.
Calculation_Binding_Energy_H_1.jpg

ZeroGravity said:
still curious though what causes the difference om the secont digit.
Did you note the quoted errors in the value of 1 u expressed in kg? What happens when you account for it?

Also, your precision on the proton mass is just barely sufficient to get the first digit right.

I do not see errors in the atomic mass unit, but I found a value of 1 u = 1.660539040(20) x 10-27
The proton mass is quoted differently on NIST and wikipedia...even thoug wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton 1.672621777(74)×10−27kg) quotes NIST as a reference...
It would be nice to have a better agreement, but it seems to be a question of finding the most precise values...
the rpp-booklet2010 have entirely different values...
Where to look ?

The "(20)" are the uncertainty on the last two digits. About 10 parts in a billion, or ~10 eV uncertainty. That is similar to the binding energy, so a deviation there should not be surprising.
On the other hand, the uncertainty on the hydrogen mass expressed in kg and on the amu expressed in kg are correlated - it is better to work with amu or eV everywhere, those measurements are more precise (and don't have those huge powers of ten).

1. What is binding energy of H-1?

Binding energy of H-1 is the amount of energy required to completely separate the nucleus of a hydrogen atom from its electron. It is also known as the energy of formation of H-1 and is measured in units of electron volts (eV).

2. How is binding energy of H-1 calculated?

The binding energy of H-1 is calculated by taking the mass difference between a single proton (hydrogen nucleus) and the mass of a hydrogen atom (with one proton and one electron). This mass difference is then converted into energy using Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What is the significance of binding energy of H-1?

The binding energy of H-1 is significant because it represents the stability of the hydrogen atom. The higher the binding energy, the more stable the atom is. This energy also plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and the formation of heavier elements in stars.

4. What factors affect the binding energy of H-1?

The binding energy of H-1 is affected by the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as well as the distance between them. The stronger the nuclear force between these particles, the higher the binding energy. Additionally, the presence of other particles such as electrons can also affect the binding energy.

5. How does the binding energy of H-1 compare to other elements?

The binding energy of H-1 is relatively low compared to other elements due to its small nucleus and the lack of neutrons. Heavier elements, such as uranium, have much higher binding energies due to their larger and more complex nuclei. However, the binding energy of H-1 is still significant in understanding the stability and behavior of atoms.