What is the Correct Way to Write a Binomial Expansion for (1+(1/x))^(-3/2)?

In summary, there is a difference in approach between the two solutions to the binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-3/2), with one taking into account the minus sign on the exponent and the other not. As a result, their respective regions of validity may differ.
bdolle
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and therefore no template.>

Hey All,

For my modern physics class we were told to write out a binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-3/2). I am fairly confident in the work I did, but my professor posted his work and it is different and way simpler than mine. Would love feedback.

My work is the second page (pencil and final answer in pen).

It looks like my professor simply took the binomial expansion of just (1+B)^(3/2) using B=(1/x) and forgot to take into account the minus sign on the exponent. Forgivable, but I don't think that is the right way to tackle this.

I algebraically manipulated (1+1/x) to get (1/x)(1+x). Then wanting to pull the term (1/x) out of the entire expansion I had to take it out of the (-2/3) power making it 1/(x^-3/2) which is x^(3/2). Then I took the expansion of (1+x)^(-3/2) and mutliplied it by my factor of (x^(3/2)).

Anyone care to take a crack at this?

THANKS!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 8.08.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 8.08.13 PM.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post it the right way up please!

bdolle said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and therefore no template.>

Hey All,

For my modern physics class we were told to write out a binomial expansion of (1+(1/x))^(-3/2). I am fairly confident in the work I did, but my professor posted his work and it is different and way simpler than mine. Would love feedback.

My work is the second page (pencil and final answer in pen).

It looks like my professor simply took the binomial expansion of just (1+B)^(3/2) using B=(1/x) and forgot to take into account the minus sign on the exponent. Forgivable, but I don't think that is the right way to tackle this.

I algebraically manipulated (1+1/x) to get (1/x)(1+x). Then wanting to pull the term (1/x) out of the entire expansion I had to take it out of the (-2/3) power making it 1/(x^-3/2) which is x^(3/2). Then I took the expansion of (1+x)^(-3/2) and mutliplied it by my factor of (x^(3/2)).

Anyone care to take a crack at this?

THANKS!

I will not read posted images, only typed work.

However, as you have described it, your expansion (if correct) would be valid only for ##0 < x < 1##, while that of your professor (when corrected) would only be valid for ##|x| > 1##. So, their regions of validity would be different.

1. What is the binomial expansion problem?

The binomial expansion problem is a mathematical concept that involves expanding a binomial expression raised to a positive integer power. It is used to simplify and solve more complex algebraic equations.

2. How do you expand a binomial expression?

To expand a binomial expression, you can use the binomial theorem or Pascal's triangle. Both methods involve systematically multiplying the terms in the expression according to their coefficients and exponents.

3. What is the formula for the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem formula is (a+b)^n = Σ(nCk)a^(n-k)b^k, where n is the power, a and b are the terms in the binomial expression, and nCk represents the combination of n and k.

4. Can the binomial expansion problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the binomial expansion problem has various applications in fields such as finance, physics, and statistics. It can be used to model and predict outcomes in situations involving multiple independent events.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving binomial expansion problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to distribute the powers correctly, not considering the negative exponents, and using the wrong formula or method. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check for errors when solving binomial expansion problems.