BIO Experiment involvin paramecia, c14, alcohol - Need some info

In summary: What is the first substance that paramecia make with glucose? This is a bit tricky, but can you think about what might happen if you started with glucose but didn't add the C14?
Accurim

Homework Statement

Okay this isn't really a question from the textbook or anything but I'm having a horribly hard time trying to find information on an experiment involving c14, paramecia and alcohol. There are questions I have to answer about this and I've tried googling for information for the last hour to no luck. I just hope someone knows where I can get some information on this experiment, I can answer the questions myself if I can find some information.

Here are the 'steps' to the experiment:

1. Chemical synthesis of C6H12O6 with C14 in position #6. "Labelled" Glucose

2. Paramecia are starved for 5 hours (i.e. n medium with no organic molecules).

3. The starved cells are suspended in a medium containing the labelled glucose. Several test tubes are used with medium and paramecia.

4. To stop all the reactions, 95% alcohol is added to the tube and stirred rapidly. (Alcohol denatures protein and all enzyme catalysed reactions cease.) Each tube is "stopped" at a different time.

5. By enzymatic digestion (lysing), the cells are digested.

6. From each test tube molecules are separated by paper chromatography and the c14 molecules are positioned.

7. Each c14 molecule is removed from the paper and identified by chemical analysis.

The questions are like , why are the paramecia starved, why is labelled glucose used, what is the first substance that paramecia make with glucose.. etc. and other questions of this nature. Any information or links to pages with info would be helpful.

Homework Equations

No equations, bio =\

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried googling for an hour for information to no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like more of a "thinking" exercise, not one where you're supposed to Google for the experiment. However, it's difficult to help point your thinking in the right direction when you haven't provided the complete set of questions you need to answer (and since the first question there was the first one I was going to ask you to help you understand the lab assignment, I think we really do need that full set of questions so we don't just ask the same ones).

To get you started with the questions you have written here...
1) Why is labeled glucose used? Think about what you are measuring in the experiment. Could you do that if you had glucose without any label on it?

2) Why are the paramecia starved? Again, it might help to think about how the experiment would work if you skipped that step. If you are starved, what happens when presented with a food source?

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your BIO experiment involving paramecia, c14, and alcohol. I can understand the frustration of not being able to find information for your assignment. I would suggest using reputable sources such as scientific journals or textbooks to gather information for your experiment. Here are some steps you can take to find the necessary information:

1. Start by understanding the terms used in the experiment. Research what C14, paramecia, and alcohol are and their roles in the experiment.

2. Look for scientific articles or studies that have used similar methods or techniques. This will give you a better understanding of the experiment and its purpose.

3. You can also reach out to your professor or classmates for guidance. They may have resources or information that can help you with your assignment.

4. When searching for information, use specific keywords such as "paramecia experiment with C14 and alcohol" or "enzymatic digestion of paramecia". This will help narrow down your search results.

5. It may also be helpful to consult a textbook or lecture notes on the topic to gain a better understanding of the experiment and its purpose.

Remember to always use reliable and credible sources for your research. I hope this helps, and good luck with your assignment.

What are paramecia?

Paramecia are single-celled organisms that belong to the group of protozoa. They are commonly found in freshwater environments and can be seen under a microscope.

What is C14?

C14, also known as radiocarbon, is a radioactive isotope of carbon. It is commonly used in scientific research, including in bio experiments, to determine the age of organic materials.

How does alcohol affect paramecia?

Alcohol can have a negative effect on paramecia, as it can disrupt their cellular functions and lead to cell death. However, the exact effects may vary depending on the concentration and duration of exposure.

What does a bio experiment involving paramecia, C14, and alcohol entail?

A bio experiment involving paramecia, C14, and alcohol typically involves exposing the paramecia to varying concentrations of alcohol and measuring their growth and survival rates. C14 may also be used to track the metabolic activity of the paramecia.

What are the potential applications of a bio experiment involving paramecia, C14, and alcohol?

Bio experiments involving paramecia, C14, and alcohol can have various applications, such as studying the effects of alcohol on cellular processes and understanding the metabolic pathways of paramecia. This research can also have implications in fields such as medicine and environmental science.

Back