1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology questions

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following methods is suitable to sterilize a liquid medium,containing blood serum?
    (1) pasteurization (2) Autoclaving at 121degrees celsius for 10 minutes (3) Boiling at 100 degree celsius for 10 minutes (4) Filtration using a sterile membrane filter (5) Freezing at -20 degrees celsius
    Ans given is (2)
    2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand why it can't be (4).Why can't we use a sterile filter to sterilize blood serum,afterall sterilization is to remove or kill any microorganisms present in a medium,right?
    My other question is,isn't blood serum a thermolabile medium so how can we sterilize it by heating it,without denaturing any of the plasma proteins present?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2
    What is in blood serum? What is it used for? Are you sure you want to filter everything away?

As for denaturation, yes some of that will happen, but I think you can be sure the temperature and time for autoclaving is carefully chosen and optimized for its purposes.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    I didn't think of it that way.
    Thanks.now I understand,why we can't use a filter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook