Exploring Biomedical Sciences: From Undergrad to Grad School and Beyond

• Thread starter Sorry!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biomedical
In summary, the speaker is considering applying to the Biomedical Sciences program at York University and then pursuing a career in medicine. They have been told that it is a difficult jump from a science program to medical school, but they are unsure why. They are also interested in potential job opportunities in the biomedical field and are seeking advice on the best path to take. They have been given advice by friends, but the speaker questions the validity of their opinions. The prerequisites for medical school vary, but high grades and a well-rounded CV are important. The speaker is also considering alternative career options in the biomedical field.
Sorry!
Well I'm applying to university in the winter time. I should be in university this year but I needed to take an extra course due to the program changing requirements and the summer school course was full by the time I found out :(.

Anyways I want to take Biomedical Sciences program offered at York University:

http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/program/biomedical_science

After that I would like to attempt to get into grad school (medical) and pursue an M.D..
Friends I've talked to have been telling me to jump from a course such as Biomedical to med school is a crazy unlikely jump and that my chances of being considered are basically 0. I've looked into it and I can't understand why that would be so (I've heard of people going to med school from an engineering program.) I've also talked to a councillor at one of the schools and she told me that one of the most important things is volunteer work.

Just wondering what you guys think... is it a massive jump? Does your academic background play the largest part in getting into grad school?

As well is the biomedical field good career wise? Like I'm interested in it a lot and I wouldn't mind doing research etc. (if med school doesn't end up working out for me) but if there are no jobs available then I don't see the point in wasting 40 grand... anyone know a website where it could list fields and their job demand? That would be great :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind this is advice about medical school applications from people on a physics forum...

First of all medical school is a professional school, NOT graduate school (with the possible exception of combined MD/PhD programs).

Secondly, to apply to medical school you need to satisfy the prerequisites which vary from school to school but generally consist of a typical first year for just about any science program. Beyond that, your degree doesn't really matter. You can get in with a degree in music, provided you have the prerequisits. To be competative, you need to have very high marks and have a well rounded CV - including community service and volunteer work. So unless these friends advising you are in medical school, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on their comments.

I can't tell you too much about the biomedical field. What I would do is look at the people who have graduated from the program you're interested in and see where they've ended up.

I can understand your interest in pursuing a career in biomedical sciences and potentially going to medical school. First of all, it is important to note that the path to medical school can vary from person to person and there is no one "right" way to get there. It is also important to remember that the biomedical sciences program at York University can provide you with a strong foundation in the field, but it is ultimately up to you to make the most of your education and experiences.

In terms of your chances of getting into medical school, I would not say that they are "basically 0." While it is true that medical schools are highly competitive and require a strong academic background, they also value diverse experiences and well-rounded individuals. So, it is important to not only focus on your grades, but also to gain relevant research and volunteer experience, as well as develop strong interpersonal skills.

Your academic background does play a role in getting into grad school, but it is not the only factor. Your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also important aspects of your application. So, if you are interested in pursuing a career in research, it is important to start gaining research experience as an undergraduate student.

In terms of the job demand for the biomedical field, it is a growing and diverse field with many opportunities for employment. However, it is important to do your own research and explore different career options within the field to find the best fit for you.

Overall, I would say that pursuing a career in the biomedical sciences and potentially going to medical school is not a "massive jump," but it does require dedication, hard work, and a diverse set of experiences. I would recommend talking to your academic advisors, professors, and individuals currently working in the field to gain more insight and advice on your specific career goals. Best of luck in your academic journey!

What are some career opportunities in the field of biomedical sciences?

Some career opportunities in the field of biomedical sciences include becoming a research scientist, clinical laboratory technologist, medical writer, pharmaceutical sales representative, or medical device engineer.

What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate studies in biomedical sciences?

Undergraduate studies in biomedical sciences typically focus on providing a broad foundation in the field, while graduate studies are more specialized and research-oriented. Graduate programs also typically require a thesis or dissertation project.

What are some important skills to have for success in biomedical sciences?

Important skills for success in biomedical sciences include critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and in a team.

What are some common challenges faced by students in biomedical sciences?

Some common challenges faced by students in biomedical sciences include the demanding coursework, heavy workload, and the need for strong time management and organization skills. Additionally, securing funding for research projects and navigating the competitive nature of the field can also be challenging.

How can I prepare for graduate school in biomedical sciences?

To prepare for graduate school in biomedical sciences, it is important to maintain a strong academic record, gain research experience, and develop relationships with professors who can serve as mentors and provide letters of recommendation. Additionally, staying up-to-date on current research and networking with professionals in the field can also be beneficial.