1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biomedical Sciences

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    Well I'm applying to university in the winter time. I should be in university this year but I needed to take an extra course due to the program changing requirements and the summer school course was full by the time I found out :(.

Anyways I want to take Biomedical Sciences program offered at York University:

http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/program/biomedical_science [Broken]

After that I would like to attempt to get into grad school (medical) and pursue an M.D..
    Friends I've talked to have been telling me to jump from a course such as Biomedical to med school is a crazy unlikely jump and that my chances of being considered are basically 0. I've looked into it and I can't understand why that would be so (I've heard of people going to med school from an engineering program.) I've also talked to a councillor at one of the schools and she told me that one of the most important things is volunteer work.

Just wondering what you guys think.... is it a massive jump? Does your academic background play the largest part in getting into grad school?

As well is the biomedical field good career wise? Like I'm interested in it a lot and I wouldn't mind doing research etc. (if med school doesn't end up working out for me) but if there are no jobs available then I don't see the point in wasting 40 grand... anyone know a website where it could list fields and their job demand? That would be great :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Keep in mind this is advice about medical school applications from people on a physics forum...

First of all medical school is a professional school, NOT graduate school (with the possible exception of combined MD/PhD programs).

Secondly, to apply to medical school you need to satisfy the prerequisites which vary from school to school but generally consist of a typical first year for just about any science program. Beyond that, your degree doesn't really matter. You can get in with a degree in music, provided you have the prerequisits. To be competative, you need to have very high marks and have a well rounded CV - including community service and volunteer work. So unless these friends advising you are in medical school, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on their comments.

I can't tell you too much about the biomedical field. What I would do is look at the people who have graduated from the program you're interested in and see where they've ended up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook