How Can Biomineralization Kinetics Influence Bone Regeneration?

• Thread starter dreamzndigita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetics
In summary, the conversation discusses a study on the crystallization kinetics of different calcium phosphate phases on polymeric scaffold materials for tissue engineering applications. The main issue is finding a way to measure the crystal growth on the surface over time without destroying the sample. The suggestion is to use electron microscopy or reflected near IR intensity to determine the extent of mineralization.
dreamzndigita
Good afternoon everyone. I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

I'm interested in studying the crystallization kinetics of several different calcium phosphate phases nucleating and growing on polymeric scaffold materials. The scaffolds are meant for use in different tissue engineering applications, specifically bone regeneration. I have made non-porous discs of poly(lactic acid) filled with a bioactive filler. The discs are immersed in simulated body fluid (SBF) which is simply water prepared with ion concentrations like those found in the human body (Ca, Na, etc.). Different calcium phosphate phases grow on the surface of the scaffold at varying rates depending on a variety of system parameters (filler loading, polymer matrix material, SBF ion concentrations, surface groups, etc).

I am trying to investigate those parameters by coorelating them to the crystallization kinetics of the different phases. I can target a specific phase of interest (the one argued to be most influential for stem cell differentiation) and work with that, but I'm encountering some problems. My main issue is that the mineral phases grow very unevenly on the surface and it is difficult to pick samples that would produce reasonable quantitative results. How would I test the crystal growth on surface over time without having to scrape off all the mineral and start over? I am looking for the mass of each (or one) phase accumulated on the surface over time without destroying each sample every time I have to take a measurement.

I am new to crystallization studies of this nature. I have some background on classic crystallization theories in general, but I've never experimentally worked on any. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? What experimental methods should I look into?

Any input is much appreciated. I apologize if I missed some important details in an attempt to keep it short. Just let me know.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't imagine bio-mineralisation kinetics being any different from general kinetics of reactions. The factor that one might have to consider is the added catalytic effects of biological cells that might enhance the reaction rates.

I was once involved in a project that studied the mineralization of dentin. I had the same problem. I had to destroy at least a portion of my sample to get any data. I looked at the mineralization by electron microscopy using the backscatter image. Fancy analysis of the backscatter image was used to determine the extent of mineralization. I didn't do the analysis myself so I can't help with that, I'm afraid.

I did come across some work in the dental literature that looked at the reflected near IR intensity which was correlated with extent of mineralization. I went so far as to order the NIR diodes but didn't go any further since I didn't have any standardized samples to calibrate the thing. I can't remember the Authors or the Journal but you should be able to find it by searching on "mineralization dentin NIR diode". Can't be many people doing it that way so it should be a short list of publications.

Thank you very much. I will look into it.

1. What is biomineralization kinetics?

Biomineralization kinetics is the study of the rate at which minerals are formed by biological organisms, such as shells, bones, and teeth. It involves understanding the processes and mechanisms by which these minerals are synthesized and deposited.

2. Why is biomineralization kinetics important?

Biomineralization kinetics is important because it helps us understand the formation and growth of biological structures, which can have implications in fields such as medicine, materials science, and paleontology. It also provides insight into the evolution and adaptation of organisms to their environment.

3. What factors influence biomineralization kinetics?

There are several factors that can influence biomineralization kinetics, including temperature, pH, concentration of ions, and the presence of organic molecules. The specific conditions and processes can vary depending on the type of organism and the mineral being formed.

4. How is biomineralization kinetics studied?

Biomineralization kinetics can be studied through a combination of experimental and computational approaches. Techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and X-ray diffraction can be used to observe the mineralization process in real-time. Computational models can also be used to simulate and predict the kinetics of biomineralization under different conditions.

5. What are the applications of biomineralization kinetics?

The understanding of biomineralization kinetics has several applications, including the development of biomimetic materials, the design of new medical treatments, and the preservation and analysis of fossils. It also has potential applications in biotechnology, environmental remediation, and the production of renewable energy.