Calculating Magnetic Field at a Point Near a Long Wire

In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 100cm from a long, thin conductor carrying a current of 1A. This is modeled after the problem with an infinite wire, which is a valid approximation if the wire is sufficiently long and the point of interest is close to the wire.
Robb

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point 100cm from a long, thin conductor carrying a current of 1A.

Homework Equations

B = ui/2pi(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is why is this modeled after a problem with an infinite wire? When I first read it I thought there wasn't enough information as I figured we would need to know how the wire is oriented with respect to the point. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
By calling it a long wire, it's implying that you can treat it as infinite. This approximation is valid if the wire is sufficiently long and the point of interest is sufficiently close to the wire.

Kinda what I figured. Thanks!

1. How do I calculate the magnetic field at a point near a long wire?

To calculate the magnetic field at a point near a long wire, you can use the formula:

B = (μ₀ * I) / (2 * π * r)

Where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point of interest.

2. What units are used to measure magnetic field?

Magnetic field is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). 1 T is equal to 10,000 G.

3. How does the distance from the wire affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be determined using this formula?

No, this formula only calculates the magnitude of the magnetic field. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current flow and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Is this formula only applicable to long wires?

No, this formula can also be used to calculate the magnetic field at a point near a coil or a solenoid, as long as the current is constant and the wire is long enough compared to the distance from the point of interest.