Is the Coincidence Counter Essential in Birgit Dopfer's Experiment?

• Thread starter alexepascual
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the topic of quantum physics and the role of coincidence counters has been extensively discussed on this forum in recent years, but there has been a lack of recent discussion on the subject. The conversation is an invitation to renew the debate and address open questions that still remain. Some participants believe that Anton Zeilinger's explanation in his paper "Experiment and the foundations of quantum physics" does not fully address all the questions and may contain incorrect statements. For those unfamiliar with the topic, an introductory resource can be found at www.paulfriedlander.com/text/timetravel/experiment.htm. One point of disagreement is the role of the coincidence counter in observing interference patterns, with some arguing that it is necessary while others believe it is not.
alexepascual
This topic has been extensively discussed on this forum during the last few years, but I don't see much discussion on it lately.
So this is an invitation to renew the debate on the subject.
It seems to me that there are still open questions and I haven't seen a good analysis of it.
I personally think that Anton Zeilinger's explanation on his paper "Experiment and the foundations of quantum physics" does not answer all the questions and some of his statements may not be correct.
For those new to the topic, an introduction can be found in:
www.paulfriedlander.com/text/timetravel/experiment.htm
A common point of disagreement is if the coincidence counter plays any role besides eliminating photons that don't have an entangled partner. Some say that without the coincidence counter you could never see interference in principle even if all the "noise" was eliminated. I haven't seen a good explanation as to why this would be true.
John Cramer at the University of Washington had claimed he would run an experiment equivalent to Dopfer's but without a coincidence counter, which would enable sending messages "back in time". I don't think we have had any news about his experiment lately.

Physics news on Phys.org
alexepascual said:
Some say that without the coincidence counter you could never see interference in principle even if all the "noise" was eliminated. I haven't seen a good explanation as to why this would be true.

This is because single-photon interference and two-photon interference are complementary. See "Demonstration of the complementarity of one- and two-photon interference" by A.F. Abouraddy et al., Phys. Rev. A 63, 063803 (2001).

In a nutshell you need first-order-coherent light to see a single photon interference pattern. You need entanglement (or at least correlations) to see a two-photon interference pattern. The requirement for first-order coherence is a small spread in the emission angles of the photons. The requirement for entanglement (by violations of the Bell inequality) is a large spread in emission angles. As these two conditions contradict, you cannot get both interference patterns with reasonable visibility at the same time as would be needed for a setup without coincidence counting. All of this is discussed in Dopfer's PhD thesis (unfortunately written in German).

By the way you can easily get a single photon interference pattern without coincidence counting by just increasing the distance between the PDC crystal and the double slit up to the point of destroying entanglement because the small spread of emission angles at the double slit position becomes insufficient to violate Bell inequalities. Although this even decreases the count rate and increases noise, you can see the single photon interference pattern directly which nullifies the argument that coincidence counting is needed to reduce noise. Dopfer showed that in her thesis, too.

Likes PeterDonis
Cthugha: I will read the article you mentioned. With respect to Dopfer's thesis, I do have a copy of it but even though I started translating with the assitance of Google translations and some other Web based tool, I just managed to translate a small fraction of it as I got busy with other things. I have read the whole Zeilinger article but as I mentioned I think his explanation is not satisfactory.
Thanks for your input and I'll let you know what I think after I read that article.

1. What is Birgit Dopfer's experiment?

Birgit Dopfer's experiment is a psychology experiment that aims to study the effects of cognitive dissonance on decision-making. It was first conducted in 1992 by Birgit Dopfer, a researcher at the University of Munich.

2. What is the purpose of Birgit Dopfer's experiment?

The purpose of Birgit Dopfer's experiment is to understand how people deal with conflicting beliefs and attitudes, and how this affects their decision-making process. It also aims to shed light on the concept of cognitive dissonance and its role in human behavior.

3. How is Birgit Dopfer's experiment conducted?

In the experiment, participants are asked to complete a task that involves making a series of choices between two options. One of the options is presented as more desirable than the other. The goal is to see if participants experience cognitive dissonance when making these choices and how it affects their decision-making.

4. What were the results of Birgit Dopfer's experiment?

The results of the experiment showed that participants who experienced cognitive dissonance were more likely to change their initial decision and choose the less desirable option. This suggests that cognitive dissonance can lead to a change in behavior in order to reduce the discomfort caused by conflicting beliefs.

5. How does Birgit Dopfer's experiment contribute to the field of psychology?

Birgit Dopfer's experiment provides valuable insights into the concept of cognitive dissonance and its impact on human behavior. It also highlights the role of internal conflicts in decision-making processes. This experiment has been replicated and expanded upon by other researchers, furthering our understanding of cognitive dissonance and its effects on decision-making.