Birthday tomorrow and my parents insist on getting me something

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary: They love listening to music and it's something they can use. In summary, the author is unhappy with the trend of modern gift-giving, where money is the only option. They instead prefer getting presents that are unique and personal. They suggest giving something like a music CD or a pen as a gift to show that you care.
JamesU
Gold Member
it's my birthday tomorrow and my parents insist on getting me something. I really don't know what I want. I know I'll end up with money, so when I do think of something, I can buy it. I don't know why but it seems depressing... :confused: :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
it's my birthday tomorrow and my parents insist on getting me something. I really don't know what I want. I know I'll end up with money, so when I do think of something, I can buy it. I don't know why but it seems depressing... :confused: :frown:
I know it's not standard any more, but the thing that I always liked about presents was the surprise of finding out what it was. Getting money or an unwrapped gift just takes all the fun out of it.

Danger said:
I know it's not standard any more, but the thing that I always liked about presents was the surprise of finding out what it was. Getting money or an unwrapped gift just takes all the fun out of it.

I agree. It seems impersonal to just get money. My parents are the same way though, so I really do understand how depressing that can be.

Happy Birthday a bit early! I'll have to get the party smilies in here tomorrow to cheer you up!

Moonbear said:
Happy Birthday a bit early! I'll have to get the party smilies in here tomorrow to cheer you up!
:biggrin: that's always fun :biggrin:

Happy birthday, yomamma!
Have your parents spend the money on a party or an event (go out and have some family-fun) or make a donation in your name. Sounds like getting cash or something you're not really into right now will just be unfulfilling. Better to have a fun memory.

yomamma said:
Because the whole point of a gift is all about that they are thinking of you, and about you. Giving money means they don't know you very well.

I always preferred getting money. On my birthday, I loved getting the birthday cards with cash from my aunts. It was so thoughtful of them to remember me, plus I got to go out and get something I wanted, so it was like getting two gifts. :approve:

I always get a Pen for my birthday. Those things are precious.

I always give my Parents CDs for their birthday.

What should I do if I don't want anything for my birthday?

If you don't want anything for your birthday, it's important to communicate that to your parents. Let them know that their love and support is enough for you and that you don't need any material gifts. You can also suggest alternative ways to celebrate, such as spending quality time together or doing a fun activity.

How can I politely decline my parents' offer to buy me a gift?

It's completely okay to politely decline your parents' offer to buy you a gift. You can thank them for their thoughtfulness and let them know that you appreciate their gesture, but you don't want them to spend money on you. You can also explain your reasons for declining, such as wanting to save money or not needing anything at the moment.

What if my parents insist on getting me something despite my wishes?

If your parents insist on getting you something, try to compromise with them. You can suggest a budget or specific items that you actually need or want. If they still insist, you can graciously accept their gift and express your gratitude. Remember that their intentions are good and they just want to make you happy.

How can I show my appreciation to my parents without them buying me a gift?

There are many ways to show your appreciation to your parents without them buying you a gift. You can write them a heartfelt thank-you note, cook them a special meal, or plan a fun outing together. You can also do something to make their lives easier, such as helping with household chores or running errands for them.

Is it normal to not want anything for my birthday?

Yes, it is completely normal to not want anything for your birthday. Everyone has different preferences and desires, and it's important to respect your own. Don't feel guilty or obligated to want material gifts. Your happiness and well-being are the most important things, and your parents will understand and support your decision.