Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Birthday tomorrow and my parents insist on getting me something

1. May 11, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

it's my birthday tomorrow and my parents insist on getting me something. I really don't know what I want. I know I'll end up with money, so when I do think of something, I can buy it. I don't know why but it seems depressing... :confused: :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I know it's not standard any more, but the thing that I always liked about presents was the surprise of finding out what it was. Getting money or an unwrapped gift just takes all the fun out of it.

4. May 11, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. It seems impersonal to just get money. My parents are the same way though, so I really do understand how depressing that can be.

Happy Birthday a bit early! I'll have to get the party smilies in here tomorrow to cheer you up!

5. May 11, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

:biggrin: that's always fun :biggrin:

6. May 12, 2005 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happy birthday, yomamma!
    Have your parents spend the money on a party or an event (go out and have some family-fun) or make a donation in your name. Sounds like getting cash or something you're not really into right now will just be unfulfilling. Better to have a fun memory.

7. May 13, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Because the whole point of a gift is all about that they are thinking of you, and about you. Giving money means they don't know you very well.

8. May 13, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I always preferred getting money. On my birthday, I loved getting the birthday cards with cash from my aunts. It was so thoughtful of them to remember me, plus I got to go out and get something I wanted, so it was like getting two gifts. :approve:

9. May 14, 2005 #8
    I always get a Pen for my birthday. Those things are precious.

I always give my Parents CDs for their birthday.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?