Bivectors, Cartan Geometry and Curvature

In summary, Riemannian geometry can be extended to Cartan geometry with a non-symmetric Ricci-Tensor. From this, one can construct a curvature tensor R_{ABCD}. There is no canonical interpretation for the bitensor representation R_{AB} of R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}.
Orbb
I have some questions related to bivector space, the curvature tensor and Cartan geometry.

1) Because of its antisymmetric properties

[tex]R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}=-R_{\nu\mu\alpha\beta}[/tex], [tex]R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}=-R_{\mu\nu\beta\alpha}[/tex],

the Riemann curvature tensor can be regarded as a second-rank bivector [tex]R_{AB}[/tex] in six-dimensional space (in case of spacetime dimension four). Due to the symmetry

[tex]R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}=R_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu}[/tex],

one can also conclude that [tex]R_{AB}=R_{BA}[/tex]. My question now is, which of the symmetry properties remain when extending Riemannian geometry to Cartan geometry with a non-symmetric Ricci-Tensor? Is it correct that one can still obtain a bitensor [tex]R_{AB}[/tex], which then however is non-symmetric?

2) The six-dimensional space is of signature (+++---). Is there any analogue to Lorentz transformations in this space?

3) The metric [tex]g_{AB}[/tex] in bivector space can be constructed by

[tex]g_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = g_{\mu\rho}g_{\nu\sigma}-g_{\mu\sigma}g_{\nu\rho}[/tex].

I guess from that one can derive a curvature tensor [tex]R_{ABCD}[/tex] for the six-dimensional space. Is that correct? And is there any interpretation for the bitensor representation [tex]R_{AB}[/tex] of [tex]R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}[/tex]?

Any answers highly appreciated!

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but the link doesn't work. If further elaboration on the questions is of help, or if my understanding is flawed, please tell. You're also welcome to point me to resources dealing with these topics. I couldn't find anything on these questions though.

1. What are bivectors?

Bivectors are mathematical objects that represent oriented planes in a vector space. They are defined as the exterior product of two vectors and are used in geometric algebra to describe rotations, reflections, and other transformations.

2. What is Cartan geometry?

Cartan geometry is a mathematical framework that extends the concept of Riemannian geometry to spaces with more general curvature properties. It combines the concepts of tangent spaces and connections to study the geometry of curved spaces.

3. How is curvature defined in Cartan geometry?

In Cartan geometry, curvature is defined as the deviation from flatness of a particular space. This deviation is described by the curvature tensor, which contains information about the local geometry of the space.

4. What is the role of bivectors in Cartan geometry?

Bivectors play a crucial role in Cartan geometry as they are used to define the curvature tensor. In particular, the exterior product of two tangent vectors gives rise to a bivector that describes the curvature of the space in the direction of those vectors.

5. How is Cartan geometry used in physics?

Cartan geometry has been used in various areas of physics, including general relativity, gauge theories, and string theory. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for describing the geometry of curved spaces in a way that is compatible with the principles of modern physics.