Find Max VB for BJT Active Region in Fig. P5.69

• Thread starter Kurokari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bjt
In summary, the question asks for the highest value of VB for which the transistor still operates in the active mode. This can be determined by the condition VC-VB=0, where VC is the collector voltage and VB is the base voltage. However, for very low collector currents, VCE can go down to 0.1V or less, meaning that the base can be at a higher potential than the collector. Saturation occurs when the base current loses control of the collector current, and in this case, IC is being controlled by the external circuit.
Kurokari

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

VBE=0.7V

The transistor in the circuit of Fig. P5.69 has a very
high 0. Find the highest value of VB for which the transistor
still operates in the active mode.

Homework Equations

VC>VB

IC=IE (since IB is approximated to zero due to high beta)

EDIT: IE= [VE-0]/1k (VB - VE = VBE = 0.7V ---> VE = VB-0.7V)

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is taken from sedra/smith 5th edition, there's some worked solution floating around the internet, however the solution provided is confusing. The condition given is that VC-VB=-0.4V

I can't agree with the solution given because that equation would mean that the voltage at base is higher than that of the voltage of the collector since the potential difference is negative.

What I was thinking is that VC - VB = 0.

Am I correct, or did I missed anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're correct. Saturation is defined as Vc < Vb by any amount. Which is when the b-c junction becomes forward-biased.

However, fact remains that saturation voltages well below Vb are typically attained. Well below 0.3V which would roughly correspond to their answer. But you don't have the information you need to determine that level.

Kurokari said:
This question is taken from sedra/smith 5th edition, there's some worked solution floating around the internet, however the solution provided is confusing. The condition given is that VC-VB=-0.4V

I can't agree with the solution given because that equation would mean that the voltage at base is higher than that of the voltage of the collector since the potential difference is negative.

What I was thinking is that VC - VB = 0.
The textbook is correct in making that reasonable assumption. For very low collector currents, VCE can go down to 0.1V or less for some transistors, so this means that (for NPN) the base can be at higher potential than the collector. Take a look at the data sheet for some common small signal transistors.

Saturation occurs when the base current loses control of the collector current, i.e., when an increase in IB fails to elicit a corresponding increase in IC. Under these conditions, IC is being controlled by the external collector/emitter circuit, and not by the base.

What is the active region for a BJT in Figure P5.69?

The active region for a BJT in Figure P5.69 is the range of operating conditions where the transistor is functioning as an amplifier. It is the region where both the base-emitter and base-collector junctions are forward biased.

How do you find the maximum VB for BJT active region in Figure P5.69?

The maximum VB for BJT active region in Figure P5.69 can be found by using the following formula: VB(max) = VCC - VCE(max). This value represents the maximum voltage that can be applied to the base-collector junction while still maintaining the transistor in the active region.

What is the significance of the active region in a BJT?

The active region is important because it is where the transistor is able to amplify a signal. In this region, the transistor acts like a current-controlled switch, allowing a small input current to control a larger output current. This is the basic principle behind the operation of many electronic devices.

What happens if the transistor is not in the active region?

If the transistor is not in the active region, it will not be able to amplify a signal. If the base-emitter junction is not forward biased, the transistor will be in the cutoff region and no current will flow through it. If the base-collector junction is not forward biased, the transistor will be in the saturation region and will not be able to amplify the signal.

How does the active region change with different values of VCC in Figure P5.69?

The active region in Figure P5.69 will change depending on the value of VCC. As VCC increases, the maximum VB will also increase, allowing for a larger range of input signals that can be amplified. However, if VCC is too high, the transistor may enter the saturation region and no longer function as an amplifier.