BJT amplifier frequency response.

In summary, during a lab on BJT amplifier frequency response, the center frequencies fc1 and fc2, bandwidth (BW), and center frequency (F0) were obtained. The band pass was found to be asymmetrical, with an input voltage of 40mVpp, an output voltage of 2Vpp, and a cut off voltage of 1.41Vpp. At 2fc2 and 4fc2, the output voltages were 0.84Vpp and 0.47Vpp respectively. Theoretically, 8fc2 would have yielded an output voltage of 0.235Vpp. When fc1/2 and fc1/4 were calculated, the output voltages were
pooface
Today I did a lab on BJT amplifier frequency response.

I got the fc1 and fc2,BW and F0 center frequency. The band pass turned out to be asymmetrical.

What i want to know is this.
Input V=40mVpp
output V=2Vpp
cut off V=1.41Vpp

When I turned up the frequency to 2fc2, i got about 0.84Vpp and 4fc2=0.47Vpp.

Theoretically 8fc2 would have yielded 0.235Vpp correct? No problem.

When i did fc1/2 i got 0.58Vpp and fc1/4 0.22Vpp. I guess there are reasons at such a low frequency why i wouldn't get half of 0.58Vpp.

My question is between the 4 values that I have told you, what are the relationships between fc1/2 and 2fc2...and... fc1/4 and 4fc2.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between fc1/2 and 2fc2 is that they both represent the same point on the frequency response curve. Specifically, they both represent the lower 3 dB point, which is the point where the power has dropped to 1/2 of the maximum power. The relationship between fc1/4 and 4fc2 is similar, in that they both represent the upper 3 dB point, which is the point where the power has dropped to 1/4 of the maximum power.

The relationships between fc1/2 and 2fc2, as well as fc1/4 and 4fc2, are related to the bandwidth of the amplifier. In general, as the frequency increases, the output voltage decreases due to the limited bandwidth of the amplifier. This can be seen in your results where at 2fc2, the output voltage is lower than at fc1/2. Similarly, at 4fc2, the output voltage is lower than at fc1/4.

The asymmetrical bandpass response you observed is a common characteristic of BJT amplifiers and is caused by the parasitic capacitances and resistances within the amplifier circuit. These parasitics can affect the overall frequency response and cause it to be asymmetrical.

It is also worth noting that the output voltage at 8fc2 may not necessarily be exactly 0.235Vpp due to various factors such as component tolerances and non-idealities in the amplifier circuit.

In conclusion, the relationships between fc1/2 and 2fc2, as well as fc1/4 and 4fc2, are affected by the bandwidth and parasitic elements in the amplifier circuit. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing the frequency response of a BJT amplifier.

Related to BJT amplifier frequency response.

1. What is BJT amplifier frequency response?

BJT amplifier frequency response refers to the relationship between the input signal frequency and the output signal amplitude of a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) amplifier. It shows how the amplifier responds to different input frequencies and is typically graphed as a frequency response curve.

2. What factors can affect the frequency response of a BJT amplifier?

The frequency response of a BJT amplifier can be affected by various factors, including the type of transistor used, the biasing conditions, the circuit topology, and the external components such as resistors and capacitors. Temperature and aging of components can also impact the frequency response.

3. How is the frequency response of a BJT amplifier measured?

The frequency response of a BJT amplifier is typically measured by applying a small sinusoidal input signal across a range of frequencies and measuring the corresponding output signal amplitude. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the frequency response curve.

4. What is the significance of the frequency response in BJT amplifier design?

The frequency response of a BJT amplifier is an important factor to consider in amplifier design as it determines the usable bandwidth and the overall performance of the amplifier. A flat frequency response curve is desirable for most applications, as it indicates that the amplifier can amplify a wide range of frequencies without distortion.

5. How can the frequency response of a BJT amplifier be improved?

The frequency response of a BJT amplifier can be improved by using high-quality components, proper biasing and temperature compensation techniques, and selecting an appropriate circuit topology. Negative feedback can also be used to improve the frequency response by reducing distortion and increasing stability.