1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency response function

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The relationship between the input voltage V(t) and the output voltage across a resistor VR(t) is:-

CR dVR /dt + VR = CR dV/dt

Circuit diagram of a capacitor and resistor with VR(t) in series across V(t)

1. Show that the frequency response function G(iw) (w= omega) is given by G (iw) = iwCR/ (1 + iwCR)

2.Sketch the locus of the frequency response function, G(iw) (w= omega) on the argand diagram.

2. Relevant equations

CR dVR /dt + VR = CR dV/dt

G (iw) = iwCR/ (1 + iwCR)

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I got this G (iw) = iwCR/ (1 + iwCR) by voltage division, from the circuit, but how could I do that from the given equation?

2. By taking the real and imaginary parts; G(iw) = x + iy

x = (wcr)2 /(1 + (wcr)2)
    y = wcr/ ( 1 + (wcr)2)

G(iw) = (wcr)2 /(1 + (wcr)2) + iwcr/ ( 1 + (wcr)2)

I'm having trouble eliminating wcr now...:frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2007 #2
    I thought you'd apply Laplace transform and then subst s= jw to get the steady state solution. Then proceed to find the frequency response. But you arrived at the answer in one step, so why are you simplifying it further?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?