Black Holes & White Holes - Theoretical Plausibility?

• Thread starter connectivity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holes
In summary, this article discusses the possibility of white holes existing in our universe. There is currently no evidence to support their existence, but they remain a theoretical possibility.
connectivity
Hello all,
I am an amateur science fiction writer and have been doing some research on the theories behind white a black holes. I am currently working on a storyline that involves a white hole in one universe which expelling vast amounts of matter from a parallel universe in which it is a black hole.
Is this a theoretically plausible scenario? Even if not, as I have a very limited science background I would be absolutely fascinated to hear what any of you think of this idea.

Regards,
C

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am certainly no expert but this article may be of interest to you: http://www.physorg.com/news189792839.html Were the theory in this article true though, I wonder why we have not discovered any bodies that continually produce matter from within such as a white hole. We have millions of black holes that last for billions of years - one would think that we would too have at least one white hole spewing matter into the universe. In any case, best of luck with your book.

As a science fiction reader, I'd say there is one observable white hole at 13.5 billion light years distance. By time we see the matter output of the white hole is is redshifted to CMB temperatures. That means we are inside the white hole. Alernately, you could say we are seeing the output of a new white whole closer in but correspondingly weaker. However we'd still have to be inside the white hole.

Why don't we see any white holes from the outside? Can we? If a white hole is equivalent to a creation event, it will expand at the speed of light just as our universe is expanding at the speed of light. A white hole should repel gravitationally, so we would see nearby stars as distorted with a negative lens. If the white hole is expanding, it will hit you before you see it coming. I don't think our universe could role with that punch.

If the expanding white hole didn't interact without universe, we'd have no way to detect it no instrument to take a measurement of it.

Unless

connectivity said:
Is this a theoretically plausible scenario? Even if not, as I have a very limited science background I would be absolutely fascinated to hear what any of you think of this idea.

One good thing about science fiction is that you get to make up your own physics. :-) :-)

The current situation is that no one has figured out how to make the thing that you described, but no one has proven that you can't do it within the rules of general relativity, and we know that GR is incomplete.

If you want some ideas for stories google for Leo Smolin and "cosmological natural selection." Also see Krasnikov tube.

White holes are a theoretical possibility under einstein's theories. None have been detected to date. Just another example of a theoretically possible entity not known to exist in our universe. It remains possible, merely unlikely.

Thanks for all the great info and feedback!

1. What is a black hole and how does it form?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape from it. It forms when a massive star dies and its core collapses, causing an intense gravitational force that pulls all the matter inwards.

2. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, once something crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This includes light, making black holes invisible and giving them their name.

3. What is a white hole and how does it differ from a black hole?

A white hole is a hypothetical region in space where matter and energy are constantly being expelled outward. It is the opposite of a black hole, which sucks in everything around it. However, there is no strong evidence for the existence of white holes.

4. Is there any evidence for the existence of white holes?

No, there is currently no strong evidence for the existence of white holes. They are purely theoretical and have not been observed or detected by any scientific instruments.

5. Can black holes and white holes coexist?

According to some theoretical models, black holes and white holes could potentially exist in the same space. However, this is still a subject of debate among scientists and has not been confirmed by any observations or experiments.