Black Body Radiation: Facts & Overview

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for calculating the power inside a cavity. The first method involves using the reflectivity and incident power to find the emerging power from the surface. The second method involves summing two geometric series to find the power incident on the second surface. Both methods require some effort but are straightforward.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
1606929231890.png

I am really stuck at this question, i would appreciate any tips you have. I already try to goes with series but the calculation is getting harder and tiring, so probably this is not the right way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I got a correct answer by assuming a left going and a right going power at each of the two surfaces. I then used the reflectivity as ## R=1-\epsilon ## and multiplied this by the incident power (per unit area), and added this term to ## \epsilon \sigma T^4 ## to get the emerging power from the surface. You do this for both surfaces. You then get expressions for left going and right going power inside the cavity.
additional note: I initially misread their nomenclature. They do have the correct answer.

Edit 2: I have now also worked it by summing two geometric series. That method is also fairly straightforward=if you show a little of your own attempt at this method, I can probably show you any steps that you might be missing.
Hint: Compute the power incident on the ## T_2 ## surface that originates from the first surface using a series. Next compute the power that is incident on the ## T_2 ## surface that originated from the same surface using a series. They are both geometric series, and are readily summed. Once you have that, what is the power absorbed by the second surface?

Last edited:

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect black body, which is an object that absorbs all radiation incident on it and reflects none. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the radiation emitted by objects at different temperatures.

2. How is black body radiation related to temperature?

The intensity and wavelength distribution of black body radiation is directly related to the temperature of the object emitting it. As the temperature of the object increases, the intensity of the radiation also increases, and the peak of the wavelength distribution shifts to shorter wavelengths.

3. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the temperature of a black body and the total amount of radiation it emits. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

4. How is black body radiation important in astronomy?

Black body radiation is important in astronomy because it allows us to determine the temperature of celestial objects, such as stars and planets. By analyzing the spectrum of radiation emitted by these objects, we can determine their temperature and gain insight into their composition and physical properties.

5. Can black body radiation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, black body radiation can be observed in everyday life. For example, the red glow of a hot metal object, such as a stove burner, is due to black body radiation. Similarly, the colors of incandescent light bulbs and the heat emitted by the sun are also examples of black body radiation.