Black hole photon emission

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I've been reading through Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time' and I have reached a section about how, contrary to popular belief, Black Hole's are not necessarily black since they emit photons outside the event horizon.

I am wondering how they emit photons. Does it have to do with particle and antiparticle annihilation?

Thanks,

Answers and Replies

Does it have to do with particle and antiparticle annihilation?
Sort of. The usual explanation of 'hawking radiation' (as it is called) makes use of particle/anti-particle annihilation in the context of the quantum foam near the event horizon of the black hole, this is detailed pretty well on the wikipedia page on black holes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

I've heard however that the actual process is much more complicated, but as of yet there isn't a better way to non-mathematically describe it.

Edit: I actually just read through the math on the wiki page for the first time and it does a pretty decent job.

Last edited:
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
It makes sense to have a look at Hawking's paper which can be found on the internet. Hawking is talking about particle-antiparticle pairs but (the math of) the process is more bizarre than that. There are no particle-antiparticle pairs and no tunneling through the event horizon or something like that. Nothing haoppens "at the horizon"; you will not see anything special there