How Can I Design a BLDC Motor with 300W Power, 24V Voltage, and 40 Nm Torque?

In summary, Sunil is seeking guidance on designing a bldc motor with specific requirements including 300W power, 24V voltage, 40 Nm torque, 180 RPM, and maximum dimensions of 254mm diameter and 90mm length. He is seeking advice on determining the number of poles, teeth, windings, wire diameter, and magnet dimensions needed for his motor. Bob S. suggests purchasing a commercial gearmotor due to the difficulty of designing a brushless dc motor and the need for 750 watts of power. Sunil expresses interest in attempting the design and asks for the next steps, to which Bob S. recommends consulting with Bodine Electric Motor engineers and DD Electric Motor.
thecoolsundar
Hi,

could someone guide me through the steps of how I would go about designing a bldc motor, knowing only the following requirements;

a) Power 300W
b) voltage 24V
c) Torque 40 Nm
d) RPM 180
e) Max external dia = 254mm
f) Max length = 90 mm

So now I need to know;
1) How many poles do I need? and why?
2) How many teeth? and why?
3) How many windings? and why?
4) Of what diameter wire? and why?
5) What dimension magnets? and why?

Would much appreciate if you can get me started.
I'm sure I can take it from there
Thanks

Sunil

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Sunil-
This will be very difficult design. 40Nm torque at 180 RPM is about 750 watts (1 HP) output power. A 300 watt motor will not be adequate.
Brushless dc motors are very difficult motors to design. I suggest you buy a commercial gearmotor.
Bob S

Bob S said:
Hello Sunil-
This will be very difficult design. 40Nm torque at 180 RPM is about 750 watts (1 HP) output power. A 300 watt motor will not be adequate.
Brushless dc motors are very difficult motors to design. I suggest you buy a commercial gearmotor.
Bob S

Thanks bob,

We are currently using a commercial gear motor. It is heavy, clunky and inefficient.
Also it dictates much of the design because of it's size.

I realize that it's not an easy undertaking, but I feel that I have to try.

So,
if my power has to be 750W, what's the next step?

Hi Sunil-
Check that you really need 180 RPM at 40 Nm = 750 watts = 1 HP
I suspect that your motor will have to run at maybe 2500 RPM to minimize torque (and motor size) at 1 HP, so you will have a roughly 15:1 gearbox.
I suggest talking to Bodine Electric Motor engineers, and maybe DD Electric Motor (ddmotorsystems.com).
Bob S.

1. What is a BLDC motor?

A BLDC (brushless direct current) motor is a type of electric motor that uses a permanent magnet rotor and electronically controlled commutation to rotate the motor. It does not rely on brushes for commutation, making it more efficient and reliable than traditional brushed motors.

2. What are the main components of a BLDC motor?

The main components of a BLDC motor include the stator, rotor, and electronic controller. The stator consists of multiple coils that produce a rotating magnetic field when energized. The rotor is a permanent magnet that interacts with the stator's magnetic field to produce rotation. The electronic controller controls the timing of the energizing of the stator coils.

3. How do you design a BLDC motor from scratch?

The design process for a BLDC motor involves determining the motor's required specifications, such as torque and speed, selecting appropriate components, and designing the stator and rotor to meet these specifications. This includes determining the number of stator poles, the winding layout, and the magnet size and placement. Computer-aided design (CAD) software is often used in this process.

4. What are the advantages of a BLDC motor?

BLDC motors have several advantages over traditional brushed motors. They are more efficient, have a longer lifespan due to the absence of brushes, and produce less noise and electromagnetic interference. They also have a higher power-to-weight ratio and can operate at higher speeds.

5. What are some common challenges in BLDC motor design?

Some common challenges in BLDC motor design include managing heat dissipation, ensuring proper alignment of the rotor and stator, and addressing electromagnetic interference. Additionally, selecting the appropriate electronic controller and programming it for optimal performance can also be a challenge. Proper testing and validation are crucial in overcoming these challenges.