Blocks colliding momentum problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics problem involving an elastic collision between two objects. The solution is attached, but the individual does not understand it. They question the conservation of momentum and how the smaller mass gains velocity in the original frame. Other users suggest changing frames to simplify the problem and using the center of momentum frame. It is also suggested to use the assumptions provided and approach the problem directly.
brushman
I'm studying for my first exam in Intro to Modern Physics. The question, along with the solution, is attached. Unfortunately I don't understand the solution.

The solution changes to the rest frame of M, which I get. Then, it shows what happens after the collision and it seems like it breaks conservation of momentum (they have Pbefore = -Pafter).

Secondly, when the solution switches back to the original frame, how does the smaller mass suddenly gain velocity? Shouldn't the velocity go down, not up?

Thanks

Attachments

• hw4.png
    hw4.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you ought to remain in the laboratory reference frame and simply solve using the conservation of momentum and Kinetic energy:
[itex]
Mv - 2mv = Mu_1 +mu_2[/itex]
[itex]
Mv^2+4mv^2 = M{u_1}^2 + m{u_2}^2
[/itex]

Seems kind of messy to solve. Does M >> m tell us anything useful?

Something very useful indeed, there will be plenty of reductions there...
Give it a try.
remember that (m/M)^2 is therefore zero, due to this condition, and M - m ~ M..., as is M + m ~ M...
Daniel

By coincidence, I have been looking at this very problem. I believed I had it solved, but my working doesn't agree with any of the options in your test. :yuck:

See my answer in the second page of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=529469&page=2" where I have cast the problem as bouncing a ball off the front of an oncoming locomotive.

Last edited by a moderator:
brushman said:
I'm studying for my first exam in Intro to Modern Physics. The question, along with the solution, is attached. Unfortunately I don't understand the solution.

The solution changes to the rest frame of M, which I get. Then, it shows what happens after the collision and it seems like it breaks conservation of momentum (they have Pbefore = -Pafter).

Secondly, when the solution switches back to the original frame, how does the smaller mass suddenly gain velocity? Shouldn't the velocity go down, not up?

Thanks

When you, the observer, change frames while observing some event, the objects being observed don't change -- you do. So your measurements for their velocities will change because your own velocity with respect to those objects has changed. When you switch back to the original frame of reference and you note that the smaller mass has "suddenly gained velocity", it hasn't... you the observer has slowed down with respect to it. Note that we don't bother keeping track of the observer's energy requirements or momentum -- we don't care how he changes frames.

A change of frame of reference can be useful in simplifying the mathematics of collision problems, and it's particularly handy when one object is overwhelmingly more massive than the other as in this case. When you change frames to that of the more massive object, the elastic collision looks just like a ball bouncing off a massive wall. And we know that for that case the incoming speed is equal to the outgoing speed. Simple. The wall is so massive that we assume no change in its momentum. In the original frame of reference the massive object ("wall") overwhelmingly carries the bulk of the momentum, and the small object's change is negligible compared to it.

By the way, the usual change of frame chosen to solve collision problems is that of the center of momentum. That is the frame of reference where the magnitudes of the momenta of the two objects are equal and they are oppositely directed -- net momentum is zero in such a frame. Collisions in such a frame have the extremely useful property whereby the velocities of the objects are simply reflected: change their signs and you're done! (except for the switch back to the original frame of reference).

NascentOxygen said:
By coincidence, I have been looking at this very problem. I believed I had it solved, [strike]but my working doesn't agree with any of the options in your test.[/strike]
EDIT: There was an error in my working for the rebound speed derived in the post referenced below. That has now been corrected.

The formula now agrees with the answer you provided, viz., +4v.

See my answer in the second page of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=529469&page=2" where I have cast the problem as bouncing a ball off the front of an oncoming locomotive.

Last edited by a moderator:
By using the assumptions I provided, you can however readily obtain this answer, through the conservation of momentum & kinetic energy, without sprawling onto other physical problems. That's my point of view, anyhow, that solutions, whenever possible, need to incline to the direct approach...
But whichever way works, and Nascent_Oxygen's path looks very alluring, and certainly devoid of any complicated/excessively burdensome algebra.
Daniel

1. What is the "Blocks colliding momentum problem"?

The "Blocks colliding momentum problem" is a physics problem that involves two or more blocks colliding and transferring momentum to each other. It is used to study the conservation of momentum and energy in collisions.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of a block?

To calculate the momentum of a block, you need to multiply its mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle is used to solve problems involving collisions, such as the "Blocks colliding momentum problem".

4. How does the mass and velocity of blocks affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass and velocity of blocks play a crucial role in the outcome of a collision. In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, the mass and velocity of blocks determine how much momentum is transferred between them. In an inelastic collision, where there is a loss of energy, the mass and velocity of blocks determine how much kinetic energy is lost.

5. What are some real-life applications of the "Blocks colliding momentum problem"?

The "Blocks colliding momentum problem" has many real-life applications, such as understanding the physics of car crashes, designing safer car bumpers, studying the movement of billiard balls, and analyzing the impact of sports collisions. It is also used in engineering and robotics to design efficient and safe machines and systems.