What would it mean if your blood is dark?

In summary, the man's blood was bright red, almost like ketchup, even in the dark. This might be because he sliced an artery, instead of a vein, which caused more blood to flow out.
Line
What wouldit mean if your blood is dark?

Biology news on Phys.org
It means you are a dark soul, and spawn of the devil.

What do you mean dark? It probably means more of the iron in your hemoglobin has bonded with oxygen.

Whenver I have my blood drawn it seems I have dark blood.

What do you mean "dark" ? Venous blood is darker (more crimson) than arterial blood (more cherry red).

The red to dark red color of the blood is due to the large numbers of circulating red blood cells, the erythrocytes. Erythrocytes are called red blood cells because they have hemoglobin, an iron containing pigment. The color of plasma is yellow due to presence of bilirubin, a degradation product of RBC and carotene. Darker color plasma is seen in animals such as horses, cattle, and rabbits, which have high levels of carotene in their blood . Plasma can also be darker in color in animals with bilirubinemia (high bilirubin in the blood). The level of bilirubin in the blood is a useful diagnostic tool for kidney and liver diseases.

and as Curious3141 said,
In humans and other hemoglobin-using creatures, oxygenated blood is a bright red in color. Deoxygenated blood is a darker shade of red, which can be seen during blood donation and when venous blood samples are taken.

Last edited:
It means that what you're seeing in the movies is really carob syrup - bright red - which looks nothing like real blood. :biggrin:

As fargoth says: "...oxygenated blood is a bright red in color. Deoxygenated blood is a darker shade of red..."

Why are some of the vanes up by my skin blueish and greenish, and varicose vanes are purpleish?

Read this, it will explain everything. http://scienceblogs.com/scientificactivist/2008/04/why_are_veins_blue.php" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
zac_Newton said:
Read this, it will explain everything. http://scienceblogs.com/scientificactivist/2008/04/why_are_veins_blue.php" [Broken]
I think he might have moved on by now...:wink:

But, since this thread has been brought back to life...

The other day while out for a late night walk, I witnessed an act of vandalism where an angry, drunk yoot put his fist though a half inch plate office window - twice. While giving my statement to the cops, I realized I was surrounded by this guy's blood spattered all over the sidewalk.

I was quite astonished to see that, even at night under a streetlight, the blood was bright red, like ketchup. It looked so much like ketchup in fact, that, if I had not witnessed the crime, and had simply come across the scene out-of-context, I would have assumed it was ketchup, and not even questioned it.

Clearly, this guy gashed an artery, rather than a vein, but I had thought the blood would have been more crimson.

(P.S. Because of my call, the guy was picked up a half block away (clutching his hand in a blood-drenched rag), treated by paramedics and charged.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What does it mean if my blood is darker than usual?

Dark blood can be a result of blood being deoxygenated, which occurs when blood has circulated through your body and is returning to your lungs for reoxygenation. Darker blood is typically seen in veins, as opposed to the bright red blood found in arteries, which is rich in oxygen.

Is dark blood a cause for concern?

In most cases, dark blood is a normal occurrence due to the presence of deoxygenated blood. However, if you notice a sudden or significant change in the color of your blood, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional as it could be a sign of a medical condition.

Can the color of my blood indicate a health issue?

While the color of blood can vary, extremely dark blood or changes in the usual color could be indicative of certain health issues, such as dehydration, venous thrombosis, or other circulatory problems. It's important to pay attention to other symptoms and seek medical advice if concerned.

Does the color of blood change during menstruation?

Yes, during menstruation, the color of blood can vary from bright red to dark brown. This is normal and is usually a result of the blood's oxidation rate and the length of time it takes to exit the body.

Why is the blood in veins darker than in arteries?

Blood in veins is darker than in arteries because it is deoxygenated. After delivering oxygen throughout the body, blood returns to the lungs to pick up more oxygen, and during this process, it appears darker.

Can lifestyle factors affect the color of my blood?

Lifestyle factors such as hydration, diet, or smoking can have an impact on blood color. Dehydration can cause blood to become darker and thicker. It's important to maintain a healthy lifestyle for optimal circulatory health.

Should I regularly check the color of my blood?

Regularly checking the color of your blood is not typically necessary for healthy individuals. However, if you notice any unusual changes in color, especially if accompanied by other symptoms, it's advisable to seek medical attention.