How to Calculate Minimum Heart Blood Pressure for Brain Arterial Pressure?

In summary, the question is asking for the minimum blood pressure at the heart needed to produce an arterial blood pressure of 59 mmHg in the brain, given the distance between the heart and brain, and blood density. The formula being attempted is P(heart)=P(brain)-(height)(p which is blood density)(g), but did not work. Other attempts include P= hpg/P(brain) and P=P(brain)/hpg. The correct answer is 85.3mmHg and there is a similar problem posted earlier with the same advice given by Daniel.
jmandas
okay having trouble setting up the formula for this one! So if someone could just tell me what formula to use that would be awesome.

What minimum blood pressure in mmHg at the heart is required to produce an artial blood pressure of 59 mmHg in the brain if the brain is 34 cm above the heart and blood density is 1.05g/cm^3. You may neglect pressure drops due to resitance.

Formula I've been attemting to use:
First I tried P(heart)=P(brain)-(height)(p which is blood density)(g)
Didn't work so tried P= hpg/P(brain)
then tried P=P(brain)/hpg

Answer should be 85.3mmHg

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a similar problem posted earlier...I gave you the advice to use the formula that u have,but pay attention with the units.

Daniel.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question about the blood pressure problem. The formula you are looking for is called the hydrostatic pressure formula, which is:

P = ρgh

Where:
P = pressure (in mmHg)
ρ = blood density (in g/cm^3)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2)
h = height difference between the heart and brain (in cm)

Using this formula, we can solve for the minimum blood pressure at the heart:

P(heart) = P(brain) + ρgh

P(heart) = 59 mmHg + (1.05 g/cm^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(34 cm)

P(heart) = 85.3 mmHg

Therefore, the minimum blood pressure at the heart required to produce an arterial blood pressure of 59 mmHg in the brain is 85.3 mmHg.

I hope this helps and clarifies the formula for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck!

What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of your arteries as it circulates through your body. It is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and is made up of two numbers: systolic pressure (top number) and diastolic pressure (bottom number).

What is considered a normal blood pressure reading?

A normal blood pressure reading is typically around 120/80 mmHg. However, the ideal blood pressure may vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.

What causes high blood pressure?

There are many factors that can contribute to high blood pressure, including genetics, diet, lifestyle choices, and underlying health conditions. Some common causes include obesity, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and stress.

How does high blood pressure affect the body?

High blood pressure can damage the arteries and organs in your body over time. It can lead to serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and vision loss. It is important to manage high blood pressure to prevent these complications.

Can high blood pressure be treated?

Yes, high blood pressure can be treated through lifestyle changes, medication, or a combination of both. Some lifestyle changes that can help lower blood pressure include maintaining a healthy weight, exercising regularly, reducing salt intake, and quitting smoking. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best treatment plan for your specific situation.