Board on top of two cylinders - inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conservation of energy and torque and force equations. The system involves a board and two cylinders with friction between them. The equations of motion for the board and two cylinders are derived, and it is found that the acceleration of the board is related to the acceleration of the cylinders. The use of energy and Lagrangian methods is also mentioned.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

See image: http://s18.postimage.org/6ql2zlo2x/board_n_cylinders.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it says conservation of energy but I just wanted to do it in terms of torque and forces first. The reason I'm not sure about my answer is because I barely had to use more than 3 torque + force equations so it is disconcerting...

Anyways, I used a coordinate system with the x-axis along the incline and y-axis perpendicular to the incline as usual with positive being downwards and outwards. There is friction between the board and each of the two cylinders at their contact point opposing forward motion of the board, pointing along the x-axis of this coordinate system. Call ##f_2## the friction between the first cylinder and board and ##f_3## the friction between second cylinder and board. Note that in this coordinate system, the only acceleration is along the x - axis; call ##x_1,x_2,x_3## the x coordinates of the board, and two cylinders respectively. Hence the equation of motion for the board is ##m\ddot{x_1} = mg\sin\theta - f_2 - f_3## (note that the backwards pointing friction forces on the board from the two cylinders result in a 3rd law forward pointing friction force pair on each of the two cylinders).

Now for the two cylinders, their torque equations (with the respective reference points being from the contact points between the cylinders and the ground) are ##-(\frac{1}{2}\frac{m}{2}R^{2} + \frac{m}{2}R^{2})\frac{\ddot{x_2}}{R} = -\frac{3}{4}m\ddot{x_2}R = -\frac{m}{2}gR\sin\theta - 2Rf_2## and similarly ##-\frac{3}{4}m\ddot{x_3}R = -\frac{m}{2}gR\sin\theta - 2Rf_3## (I added the negative signs in front of the ##I\alpha## terms because the cylinders are rolling forward along the incline hence they have negative angular acceleration). At this point, we note that ##\ddot{x_1} = 2\ddot{x_2} = 2\ddot{x_3}## in order to have no slipping between them. Thus adding together the two torque equations and applying this constraint we have that ##\frac{3}{4}m\ddot{x_1} = mg\sin\theta + 2f_2 + 2f_3##. Combining this with the equation of motion for the board gives ##\frac{11}{4}m\ddot{x_1} = 3mg\sin\theta## i.e. ##\ddot{x_1} = \frac{12}{11}g\sin\theta##.

I'm not entirely sure this is correct because as I said I only needed one force equation , 2 torque equations, and the constraint with no need for the force equations for the cylinder nor the vanishing torque equation for the board; I would like to think it is because of the highly constrained nature of the system as given in the problem but yeah idk. If it however is fine then I would like to show my attempt at the energy / lagrangian method here as well. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct.

ehild

Looks correct

1. What is the purpose of a board on top of two cylinders on an inclined plane?

The board on top of two cylinders on an inclined plane is used to demonstrate principles of physics, specifically the relationship between forces, friction, and motion. It allows for practical application of concepts such as gravity, inclined planes, and the coefficient of friction.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the board?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force of gravity acting on the board. This results in a faster and more accelerated motion down the plane. The angle also affects the amount of friction between the board and the plane, which can impact its speed and distance traveled.

3. What factors influence the coefficient of friction in this experiment?

The coefficient of friction is influenced by the materials of the board and cylinders, as well as the surface of the inclined plane. For example, a smoother surface will result in a lower coefficient of friction compared to a rougher surface. Additionally, the weight and shape of the board can also affect the coefficient of friction.

4. How does the height of the cylinders impact the motion of the board?

The height of the cylinders affects the overall potential energy of the system. A higher starting point will result in a greater potential energy, which will then be converted into kinetic energy as the board moves down the inclined plane. This can impact the speed and distance traveled by the board.

5. What is the significance of using a board on top of two cylinders instead of just a flat board on an inclined plane?

The addition of the cylindrical shape allows for a more realistic and practical application of physics concepts. The cylinders create a more stable and controlled environment, allowing for more accurate measurements and observations. It also helps to minimize any potential external factors that may affect the experiment, such as uneven surfaces or air resistance.