Calculating Probability of Subsea Compressor System Failure

In summary: I think the correct problem should be P(F) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C∩D) - P(A)P(B) - P(A)P(C∩D) - P(B)P(C∩D) + P(A)P(B)P(C∩D).In summary, the failure of a subsea compressor system can be described by the Boolean Algebra statement F = A UBU(CUD). By assuming independence between A, B, C, and D, the probability of F can be calculated using the formula P(F) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C∩D) - P(A)P(B) - P(A)P(C∩D
abba02
[SOLVED] Bolean Algebra

Question
The failure of a subsea compressor system is described by the following Boolean
Algebra statement:
F = A UBU(CUD)
If P[A] = 0.01; P = 0.0034; P[C] = 0.00067; P[D] = 0.002, calculate the probability
P[F] given independence between A,B,C,D.
ANSWER[0.013367]

ATTEMPTS AT PROBLEM
I have tried to use the associative expression to solve this but my answer is different from the given answer of .013367

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi abba02! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, this probably ought to be in the coursework and homework section)

Show us your attempt, and then we'll know how to help you. :smile:

[And are you sure it's not F = A UBU(C∩D)?]

My attempts to solve the problem

It is F = AUBU(CUD)
I had derived the below using the associative law. But after plugging in the values of A,B,C and D , my answer were still different from the given answer.
P(A) +P(B) +P(CUD)-P[A]P-P[A]P[CUD]-PP[CUD]+P[A]PP[CUD]

Last edited:
… looks good to me …

Hi abba02! :smile:

Yes, your method looks good to me! :smile:

(though it would be quicker to say P(notF) = P(notA)P(notB)P(notCUD))

ok, now try it with f = A UBU(C∩D), and see what you get.

Thanks, With your advise, I have got the solution to the problem. I think that the problem must have been stated wrongly.

Related to Calculating Probability of Subsea Compressor System Failure

1. What factors are considered when calculating the probability of subsea compressor system failure?

There are several factors that are typically considered when calculating the probability of subsea compressor system failure. These may include the age and condition of the system, the environmental conditions it is exposed to, the quality of maintenance and inspections, and the design and construction of the system.

2. How is the probability of subsea compressor system failure calculated?

The probability of subsea compressor system failure is typically calculated using statistical methods and reliability analysis. This involves collecting data on the system and its components, identifying potential failure modes, and using mathematical models to estimate the likelihood of failure.

3. What is the importance of calculating the probability of subsea compressor system failure?

Calculating the probability of subsea compressor system failure is important because it helps to identify potential risks and vulnerabilities in the system. This information can then be used to inform maintenance and inspection schedules, as well as design and construction decisions, in order to reduce the likelihood of failure and improve overall system reliability.

4. Can the probability of subsea compressor system failure be reduced?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the risk of subsea compressor system failure, it is possible to reduce the probability of failure by implementing proper maintenance and inspection protocols, using high-quality materials and construction methods, and designing the system to withstand potential environmental hazards.

5. How accurate are the calculations for the probability of subsea compressor system failure?

The accuracy of the calculations for the probability of subsea compressor system failure can vary depending on the quality and availability of data, as well as the complexity of the system. However, with proper data collection and analysis, these calculations can provide a good estimate of the likelihood of failure and be used to inform decision-making and risk management strategies.